EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:29:35 +0900
This is a bugbear, I think. If you look at the long range
CO2 levels in the atmosphere, the current levels are near
the bottom of the chart. Modern plants evolved in an
atmosphere with far higher CO2 than the present. Some
scientists believe we very nearly had a global crash during
the last ice age, because CO2 levels fell nearly to the
point that green plants could not survive at all. Plants in
the modern atmosphere are stressed by too low CO2, not too
much. Our ancestors evolved to eat those plants as they
developed in high CO2 atmospheres, not low.

CO2 natually rises and falls considerably. The current rise
is not exceptional. It is well within the natural range.