EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:35:17 +1000
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

http://www.sciam.com/special/toc.cfm?issueid=11&sc=rt_nav_list
Scientific American have a special on human evolution which has something to
offend just about everybody.

There are article on many aspects including diet, childbirth etc. I haven't
read much of it yet, but thought I'd post it up as it won't be on the news
stands much longer. The article on if humans were built to last focuses on
the (totally incorrect) assumptions of western medicine that diseases like
osteoporosis and osteoarthritis are inevitable. Indeed I thought the fossil
evidence was clear that osteoarthritis was rare (aside from in a spear
throwing elbow or next to a fracture), and that osteoporotic fractures were
only found in Inuit (which may relate to their extreme diet).