EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:25:01 -0500
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 06:36, Persephone wrote:

>I carried my daughter in a backpack for long treks
>until she was four years old (and using it for
>rest periods by then). I knew nothing about
>paleoliving then, but prams, buggies and the
>like seemed a very unnatural
>way to carry young children, and
>a backpack allowed us to talk and interact
>a lot.

So did we.  Both my sons - now in their 20s - have been tirelss cyclists
and walkers all their lives and i put this down to their being carried and
then allowed to walk as sson as they could.  when you don't have a pram,
it is so much easier to allow the youngster to walk a few paces and scoop
him/her up when they get tired; you can easily do this 20 or thirty times
on a simple walk to the shops.

>Was this the first book to discuss paleoliving in
>detail? I'm curious as to how the current
>idea to return to a more paleo way of life evolved.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Persephone

There was a seminal article in the 1970s.  I have posted a copy on my site:

http://www.evfit.com/index.htm

Follow the link from there to <Stephen Boyden>

Perhaps the key popularizers were the Eatons and, later, Art De Vany

http://www.socsci.uci.edu/econ//personnel/devany/evolutionaryfitness.html

But there were many people who approached different aspects of
evolutionary fitness, mainly in terms of diet, from the 1930s onwards.
(Weston Price stands out.) Boyden, I think, was the first to make the
explicitly Darwinian and paleontological links and apply then to the
everyday lives of ordinary people today.  Some of his terminology appears
odd to us now, but this is because he had to invent new terms to describe
the ideas he was pioneering.

The FAQ for this list has a few other references (and I'm always willing
to add more!).

Keith