EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:29:00 +1000
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

Keith
Prostate cancer would be pretty unlikely in our paleolithic forebears.
Regardless of the lower life expectancy of all people before 1900AD (and
thus low level of cancer until they had the opportunity to live long enough
to get it), it appears that prostate is influenced by phytosterols which are
high in Paleo diets because of large variety of fruit and veges and
especially root veges. The USDA charts show root vegetables have huge
amounts of phytosterols- yet they have been studiously ignored by the world
of nutrition as turnips are still boring!

This ref also shows the profound effect of essential fatty acids on 5 alpha
reductase- the enzyme that boosts testosterone in hormone responsive areas
such as scalp, prostate, chest etc. The prostate and baldness drug
finasteride (Proscar Propecia) ahs a similar effect.

Essential fatty acids are of course of primordial importance and are
involved in numerous hormonal and regulatory pathways. I personally have
little doubt that the omega 6 oil glut has been bad for our prostate glands.

So you can just change to olive oil, eat lots of fish and root vegetables.

Cheers
Ben