EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:39:58 -0600
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

>If I'm interested in duplicating that in the modern environment, I can do
>it much more effectively in a local wooded area than in the gym with steel
>plates.  I can start with a moderate activity like walking\slow
>intermittent running over mixed terrain to replicate the tracking
activity,
>move to more intense sprints with thrusting or throwing motions to
>duplicate the kill, and walk with weighted pack over hill and dale to
>duplicate taking the kill back to camp.  One pattern I see here is that
>paleo people probably relied much more on a combination of strength and
>endurance, with a real focus on the legs.

Here's a few more ideas.

When doing weight-lifting exercises, it seems the best would be to use
dumbells. Granted, the total amount of weight is reduced, but I don't think
that should always be the goal. Ever try deads using dumbells? It's tough.
Variations I've seen include one arm deads, and combined one arm deads into
an overhead press.

Farmer's walk variations abound as well. Fill a bucket with dirt or rocks
and carry it one handed. When you reach failure, switch to the other hand
and continue. Repeat until dead :)

Dumbell presses are one of my favorites. You activate scores of
supporting/balance muscles when using dumbells. I rarely see anyone doing
these - I think it's because of the balance issue.

I think some of the stuff attempted in strong man competitions is pretty
cool - lifting heavy objects, pulling cars etc. Unfortunately, it's hard to
duplicate some of the "equipment" used.

A wheelbarrow filled with weight. Can be as simple as filling with rocks.
Push and pull it up and down hills. A real killer.

Simply throwing stuff. Got to be careful as it's an explosive exercise and
you can injure yourself easily.

Finally, what about simply walking/hiking with a pack, and increasing the
load over time (micro-loading)? In my youth I took a number of long
backpacking trips with a pack weighing nearly 50 lbs. I think my back was
much stronger at that time than it's ever been since. I sure as an exercise
it's not unthinkable to carry your own weight on your back for short
distances.