EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 01:04:13 -0700
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

> I was loose with my terms.  By fun I really meant enjoyable in the
> achievement, the praise received,
> the satisfaction felt and in the exuberance of pushing yourself to
> the limit.  Not 'fun' as such at the
> time, but intrisically rewarding to attract me back for more.

Not meaning to be arguing semantics, but I believe "achievement" is
something of a modern phenomenon. Not that winning a physical contest was
not important to a primitive - especially if potential mates were being
impressed; but I doubt it has the same connotation as it does nowadays.

Think back when running and playing as a child. There was quite often not a
goal or a prize involved, but intense activity was still pursued simply for
activity's sake. It was fun. Playing tag, for instance, might go on for
extended periods of time, with no clear winner or loser - although there
was always an understanding of which child was naturally better at it. But,
being better was *not* the goal - having fun was.

A good corollary for my point is art; specifically - music appreciation. I
was thinking about this a month ago while attending a much anticipated
concert. I enjoyed the music *while* it was playing, and I really did not
want the concert to end. (Maslow's peak experience?) Afterward I felt
fulfilled, knowing I had truly enjoyed myself for a period of time, but the
same feeling of enjoyment was no longer with me. In this case immersion
*in* the process was really the goal.

Another example is how my dog plays. She will chase anything I throw with
complete abandon, as if it were the last time I would ever throw it. 100%
intensity with every single turn - something I doubt I will ever see in a
human. There is no perceptable goal or achievement other than getting
another turn. And, if nothing else, it's fun :)

The FAQ for Evolutionary Fitness is at http://www.evfit.com/faq.htm