CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"C. G. Estabrook" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 22:53:28 -0500
ZNet | Central American And Caribbean

Statement to the World
by Many Authors; May 02, 2003

To the conscience of the world

The international order has been violated as a consequence of the invasion
against Iraq. A single power is inflicting grave damage to the norms of
understanding, debate and mediation amongst countries. This power has
invoked a series of unverified reasons in order to justify its invasion.

Unilateral action has led to massive loss of civilian life an devastation
of one of the cultural patrimonies of humanity.

We only possess our moral authority, with which we appeal to world
conscience in order to avoid a new violation of the principles, which
inform and guide the global community of nations. At this very moment, a
strong campaign of destabilization against a Latin American nation has
been unleashed. The harassment against Cuba could serve as a pretext for
an invasion. Therefore, we call upon citizens and policy makers to uphold
the universal principles of national sovereignity, respect of territorial
integrity and self-determination, essential to just and peaceful
co-existence among nations.

Mexico City, may day 2003

Signed Initially By:

Leopoldo Zea
Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez
Miguel León Portilla
Andrés Henestrosa
María Rojo
Jaime Labastida
Víctor Flores Olea
Federico Álvarez
Gilberto López y Rivas
Pablo González Casanova
Signed afterwards by the Nobel Prize Winners:
Rigoberta Menchú
Nadine Gordimer
Adolfo Pérez Esquivel
Gabriel García Márquez

Signed also by ZNet Associated Writers and Friends
Michael Albert
Noam Chomsky
James Petras
Tariq Ali