Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 09:12:59 -0800

On the Olestra question: I had several answers on this. Six said they were
not bothered by olestra; seven said they were; one said he was big time.
Also received all the normal warning against possible contamination with
gluten. My answer to this was that the reaction I got from it was much more
severe than what I would have gotten from as much gluten as might have been
smuggled through on one small potato chip. Thanks for the interest and help.

I thought I also got one from a doctor, but I seem to have lost it. Sorry
for the sloppiness there. Can't figure out where it went. It was a warning
not to eat Olestra. In addition, I also received the three interesting
answers below: -vance

I was diagnosed celiac last Apr after 55 years of various symptoms.
Anyway, I just received a "new patient packet" from CSA/USA today and
Olestra is listed in their literature as a "NO-NO."  Hope that answers
your question.  Good luck.

I received information from the manufacturer of Olestra and they dod not
recommend that anyone with any kind of intestinal problem eat olestra.  It
causes malabsortion of fats.  That is what it is meant to do.  In someone
with a abosrption problems ie celeiac disease or IBS it will irritate the
intestine and thus would have a higher probablity of causing diarrhea in that
individual.  This was information that was sent out to all dietitians prior
to its distribution.

I was told by an expert to not eat any Olestra or any of the fake fats because
they are not gf!!