From:
judy beck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:50:11 +0000

I saw a physician yesterday who was filling in for my regular doctor.
The reason for the visit was acid reflux, which my regular doctor had
suspected. I had had a sore throat for several months. Antibiotics
didn't help. My regular dr. had suggested that any sore throat that
lasted that long could be caused by acid from my stomach backing up into
my esophagus. After the antibiotics didn't solve anything, I had tried
Tums, which are GF, and found they helped with the sore throat, so my
problem probably IS acid reflux.  Unfortunately, Tums gave me diarrhea.
So, I told this other doctor that what I needed was an antacid that was
GF.  She gave me samples of Pepcid AC and something called Axid, told me
to try the Pepcid AC first.  She assured me that she had used both
products on celiac sprue patients with no bad results.  I took one
Pepcid, then started trying to research their actual GF status (which
was not the proper order, I know.) The archives indicate they are not
GF.  I've tried to reach the manufacturer, Johnson & Johnson, but they
appear to have no 800#.  I did reach the Axil manufacturer, and was
told, "we cannot guarantee them to be totally gluten-free because we
don't know what the vendors we buy from...etc etc..."
   So, my questions are: 1.) has anyone used Pepcid AC or Axid, and what
was your reaction?  2.) Does anyone know of a GF antacid besides
Tums...one that does not contain calcium carbonate, which the CSA
product book says some celiacs should avoid?
Thanks for any help....Judy Beck, Santa Cruz, CA
   So, my question is,