From:
mary schnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 13:36:47 -0600

For the past couple of weeks I've been having some reaction to something.  I
have been particularly careful about what I've been eating.  I noticed that
the vitamins we have used for years no longer said "gluten free", but said
"wheat free".  I sent an e-mail to the company, but have not received a
response yet.

Then ... an ah-ha moment!   I was showing my husband (not celiac) an item I
had been having as a treat because I was beginning to think I was reacting
to nuts.  It couldn't have been this bar, I told him, because it's labelled
'gluten-free'.  He said, "no it's not, and among the ingredients it states
'wheat fibre' and 'malt extract'".  Wow!  I've enjoyed these bars for a
couple of years and bought them pretty often.  I noticed that I felt unwell
about 20 minutes after eating one during the past couple of months, so
because they were gluten free I was supposing that nuts were becoming a
problem for me.  It didn't occur to me to check that particular label.

Sure goes to show that we need to be diligent about checking every label,
every time.  Manufacturers DO change ingredients.