From:
Aggi-Rose Reddin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aggi-Rose Reddin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:50:08 -0500

Well, at least we know we are not alone with this issue!Thank you to
everyone who wrote! If I missed thanking anyone personally, please accept
my apologies:-)

I had 26 responsives from people who also have other food intolerances; 2
find out, & 1 decidely "unhelpful" note which I simply deleted! 30

Some of those who wrote said some other members of their family with CD
have other food intolerances as well. Primary "offenders" seem to be [n
approximate order of frequency]:
1.corn [some were able to eventually use corn-derived products but not
whole corn]
2.dairy [some identified as lactose which is well recognized, but most said
it was casei
n issue,not just lactose problem]
3.peanuts [most who were peanut sensitive were not anaphylactic or IgE
responsive]
4.legume family in general, although some could handle certain peas or
beans but not others
5.eggs
6.tomatoes
7.potatoes [not as common as tomato intolerance]

There were a slew of other foods mentioned, but less frequently than the
above so not included here. On the whole, people's lists seem very similar
to my son's. Thankfully, only a couple of people said rice is a problem, so
I'm keeping my fingers crossed my son may be able to handle it again before
too long. One lister recommended "Enjoy Life" products, so I checked their
website. Unfortunately, their products are rice based, but other than that,
they would have been a great help in filling out my son's food choices!

One lister suggested I join the GFCF list at yahoo, which I have done.
Seems t
o be a great source for recipes, including some for more than gluten
free/casein free.

I guess perhaps the US tests use a different scale than the ones used here
in Canada? The scale used for my son's tests went from 0, to VL, to
1+,2+,3+ [five grades in all]. Just to clarify that it was only the highest
results we were concerned with for my son - if I took out all his 1+
results as well, he'd really have nothing to eat!!

This summary is obviously of no scientific value, but judging by the
I can think of all kinds of questions I'd love to see studied. Perhaps some
of the celiac associations will pick up on this, now that the new
legislation is finally passed? I realize double-blind studies may be
difficult, but formal, controlled prevalence surveys would seem a good
place to start.

Finall
y, most respondents had little help with this from their own doctors
& had to figure it out for themselves. More reason for proper research!?
Cheers. Aggi-Rose