From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:15:01 -0500

A friend brought a new product to my attention, and while I don't personally know very
much about it, I wanted to share the information to this list serve. You can find out more
about chia flour (yes, the same seed that grows "hair" in those little terra cota critter
pots!) by going here:

http://www.nuchiafoods.com/

Here's an article that the friend sent to me via email. (I have no personal or financial
interest in this company. I'm just sharing.)

Alternative Flour Made from Chia Seeds Takes Center Stage for Celiac Sufferers: Is
Certified Gluten-Free

ShareThis
ORLANDO, Fla., Oct. 9, 2008 — Nuchia Foods Corporation announced today that its Chia
Seed Flour is certified gluten-free, perfect for people with Celiac disease or anyone
looking for healthy holiday recipes. The flour, made from chia seeds, is an alternative to
highly processed wheat flour.
“Nuchia Foods’ alternative flour can replace wheat flour one-to-one in most recipes,” said
Homer Hartage. “It brings good taste back for those with Celiac, but the whole family can
enjoy this. Our flour is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, calcium and fiber. What’s
more, it tastes good.”
Original Chia Seed Flour can be used to create gluten-free recipes. Each serving delivers
powerful antioxidants and vitamins, along with a full day’s supply of omega-3 fatty acids,
9.4 grams of fiber and a wide variety of naturally occurring minerals like biotin, calcium,
phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, niacin, and zinc. That high omega-3 content
and fiber mean Chia Seed Flour can promote a healthy heart, weight loss and offer relief
to those suffering from arthritis and osteoporosis.
Talking about traditional recipes, some of the foods that have been made using Chia Seed
Flour include a Louisiana Chicken Gumbo Guinness Beer Soup with a roux base, a holiday
favorite - red velvet cake, cookies, fruit cobblers, frostings and rich chocolate brownies
to die for. It can also be used in raw cooking, added to smoothies and as a thickener in a
wide variety of dishes. In each recipe Chia Seed Flour was used as alternative flour to
highly processed wheat flour.
Though the history of chia seeds shows that it was a staple of the Aztec and Mayan diets,
the small desert grain called chia is now better known as the “hair” of a popular line of
terra cotta pet figurines. But it turns out chia is actually packed with vital nutrients —
and, thanks to Nuchia Foods Corporation, chia seeds are now available again as an
alternative flour to health- and taste-conscious consumers.
Jan Matsuno, Director of Commercialization at the Center for Culinary Development, said,
“Who knew the seeds used to grow ‘hair’ on those funny Chia pets is actually super-
nutritious? Nuchia Foods Corporation has developed a process to produce Chia Seed Flour
which performs similarly to bleached wheat flour, but provide a full day’s supply of
omega-3 fatty acids, 9.4 grams of fiber, and a wide range of vitamins, minerals and
antioxidants - all gluten-free! Move over Spelt and Quinoa, Chia is here!”
Homer L. Hartage, president and CEO of Nuchia Foods Corporation, is a graduate of Seton
Hall University. Hartage frequently holdS product demonstrations on the use of their
alternative flour and is available for lectures and seminars. Nuchia Foods Corporation is
certified gluten-free by the Gluten Free Certification Organization
Contact:
Shani Beaux
Nuchia Foods Corporation
5603 Commerce Drive, Unit 1