From:
Linda Lettko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Lettko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:11:43 -0500

Here's a summary of the info. I received about gf eating on Cape Cod, MA.
Thanks for all your input!!

- Just wanted to let you know that I had wonderful service at the Acworth
Inn B& B and the Brewster Farmhouse Inn B & B.  After my husband made
reservations, the owner of the Acworth Inn called me to clarify my dietary
needs.  She asked me about my favorite fruit, and made sure that I would
have enough to eat at breakfast.  She made me a special frittata and a
berry and yogurt parfait.
At the Brewster Inn I had a delicious herb & cheese omelette with fried
cinammon apples (scrumptious).

- Lindsey's Restaurant in Wareham is wonderful. They cook everything fresh
and from scratch. I have never really had to ask what on the menu is gluten
free. I have ordered the following without problems:

Broiled schrod
Broiled Haddock
Filet mignon
real mashed potatoes
steamed lobster
lemon pepper scallops
sirloin steak, no onion rings
jello with whipped cream
corn on the cob
green beans
Swordfish

I have never had a problem of cross contamination there either. They are a
family restaurant and have a children's menu. The owners and managers are
wonderful. As I said, it is all homemade. I have never had a conversation
with the chef and this is the only place I go to that I don't worry. Good
luck.

- Orleans has a great natural food store on Main street. I think its just
called natural foods- just ask.The Star Market  has a decent health food
section as well. There is a Ben & Jerrys Ice cream down rt 6 in Eastham-

- As for ice cream, the best we have had on the Cape is from the Ice Cream
Cafe at 5 South Orleans Rd in Orleans, they have a website
[log in to unmask] and their number is 508-240-0003.  We stick to the basic
flavors that seem pure and have had no problems, I haven't actually
contacted them.  I know they make their own ice cream.  As for eating out,
we generally eat at home and we go out to eat only at Clancy's in Dennis,
they will tell us what is okay and are very accommodating.  The only
problem with Clancy's is that there is always a very long wait unless you
go to eat early.

- we were just on the cape, but in Wellfleet.  Mostly, we ate in the
house we rented.  my girls (5 & 3) and i are all celiac, plus they
have dairy & soy issues.

we did eat out several times at Moby Dick's on Route 6 in Wellfleet.
They have an ingredient book, and you can look up in the book
whatever you're interested in ordering, and it will state what they
used to cook it.  the BIG bonus there was that they had a dedicated
fryer for the french fries, which made my kids thrilled.  they mostly
had corn on the cob & french fries, with a little lobster.

There's a Ben & Jerry's on Route 6 too, and they are great about
cleaning utensils if you mention allergies (i know celiac isn't an
allergy, but saying allergy gets more attention).  Poit's Mini-Golf
has ice cream, and they are happy to bring out the container for you
to read it (they also have those pop-ice things for people who can't
have dairy).  We did not try any of the soft-serve places.

Also, in downtown Orleans there is a health food store with quite a
nice selection, including gf chocolate sprinkles & the new rice
crispie-type bars.