Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:52:52 -0800

Thankyou to all who responded to my query.  Responses as follows.

...It's not true.

Dr Donald Kasarda (of the USDA) has some excellent
information on this matter in his expert postings
to the celiac list ... later today I'll try to find
direct citations, in case you haven't found them
yourself.

In brief, he says that *some* of the proteins break
down, but it is my understanding that most of them
remain.  And even when they break down, many of the
toxic protein sequences within them remain intact.

...I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense to me. Sprouting partially breaks
down the starch to simple sugars, but not the gluten. Even if it did, it
wouldn't break down all of it. ALL of the gluten would have to be broken
down into the smallest building blocks (amino acids). Not completely broken
down gluten fragments would still be toxic.

No, I don't think using sprouted wheat, rye, barley would be a good idea
(when you're a celiac).

...If you are referencing something from Peter D'Adamo's book, "Eat Right
For Your Type", that is not correct as far as celiac's are concerned, so
therefore, anything sprouted still has glutens from the celiac
perspective. Sprouted grains do not contain the harmful lectins he
speaks about in his book, so it would apply to those avoiding wheat who
are NOT celiac but who are type O, for example, but it is my
understanding that there is still very harmful glutens left, albeit,
fewer, but present nonetheless.  This is only my interpretaion of this,
perhaps others see it differently.

...I just talked with my aunt this weekend.  She is very sensitive to gluten,
but said she ate two loaves of sprouted grain bread before having a
reaction, and she said the reaction may not have been from the bread.  She
read me the ingredients and there is "malted barley" in there, so it is not
really GF.  She asked me if sprouted grains were GF.

...I just purchased an antioxidant from a health-food store, called
"BIOGUARD".  The label reads:  "Bioguard is composed entirely of
hydroponically grown wheat sprouts.  Hypoallergenically free of wheat gluten
and yeast."

Most sprouted wheat still has gluten or gluten peptides remaining.  Although
the sprouting begins enzymatic action that starts to break down the gluten
(a storage protein for the plant) into peptides and even amino acids.
Generally this is not a complete process for sprouts used in foods so some
active peptides (active in celiac disease) remain.  I don't know anything
about Bioguard specifically, but I would be cautious about it until the
company can say on what basis they are claiming "gluten-free."  For example,
how have they tested this?