Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 14:23:56 +0000

Janet asked about carbs.....

 I don't pretend to be an expert on carbs- but I was recently diagnosed
with diabetes & learned the following:
Your body turns ALL carbs into sugar.
Rice & Corn are "high carb" content items.
(An interesting note: These days the Doctor's & Registered Diaticians
don't instruct diabetics to avoid sugar. They base the entire
nutritional balancing act on carbohydrate counting. Observe... high
sugar items also have high carb counts on Nutrition fact labels).

 Notice on the NUTRITION FACTS label for rice they are talking about 1/4
CUP of rice!!!
I'm looking at my in house rice labels;

JASMINE RICE 1/4 CUP DRY=180 CALORIES  42 GRAMS OF CARBS
LUNDBERG BROWN RICE 1/4 CUP =170 CALORIES  37 GRAMS OF CARBS

I noticed 2 different kinds of basmati rice in the store today one was
37 grams of carbs per 1/4 cup serving- the other (aged basmati) was 17
grams of carbs per same serving size.

Maybe we can have a "contest" of sorts to find the type of rice that has
the least amount of carbohydrates.
AAaaaaaaaaahhhh-- the answers are in the details

Fran Oregon US of A