From:
Suzanne Romey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Romey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 13:54:37 -0400

I asked about places to find food for a trip to Columbus, Ohio and Ann
Arbor, Michigan.  The suggestions I received are below.

Suzanne

Columbus

While I haven't included these particular restaurants on The Central Ohio
Celiac Resource (www.columbusceliac.org), the Short North is a hotbed of
good restaurants, fun galleries and neat stores.  One of my absolute
favorites is L'Antibes (772 N. High Street, at 106 Warren St. Entry;
614-291-1666) - it's a wonderfully small, intimate spot and the chef has
been great about modifying (my sister and I have found that a number of
their dishes need no modification at all).   Another few good spots are
Rigsby's (698 N. High Street, 614-461-7888); lots of celiac folks speak
well
of Tapatio's (491 North Park Street; 614-221-1085), though I'm not as fond
of their food and I find the atmosphere really noisy.  Many menus at the
better restaurants in Columbus offer vegetarian dishes, but of course
you'll
need to cross-check for gluten issues.

There are lots of restaurants in the Short North, many listed at
http://www.theshortnorth.com/Restaurants.htm, but I have not personally
checked dishes and ingredients on most of them.

The Raisin Rack Health Food store is the far north off Cleveland Avenue in
westerville at the corner of Schrock road.  They have an extensive food
selection that is gluten free and I'm sure they would help you with the
other needs also.

Ann Arbor

When you hit Ann Arbor you can find vegetarian food at a number of
different stores.  The two I suggest are Arbor Farms on Stadium Blvd
(on the north west side of town) and the Peoples Food Coop on 4th
Avenue (in the downtown area)

For restaurant eating try Seva's (downtown...I "think" it's on
Liberty Rd).  This is a purely vegetarian restaurant that has the
added bonus of having an ingrediants binder avail to look through
before ordering.  Need to ask for the binder.

Two others:
  -Prickly Pear on Main St. It's not strickly vegetarian, but
   it's darn close and the chef is very very flexible.
  -For fine dining try Pelagos Teverna on Detroit St (downtown).
   But be warned, this is a greek restaurant and thus not veggi,
   however, they serve alot of veggetble dishs and the chef is
   also very flexible.