From:
Arvinder Malhotra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arvinder Malhotra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:07:31 -0800

Dear friends,

  A while back I had sent an email requesting people's experiences with Corn Tortillas. I apologize for taking a long time to summarize the results.  I am cutting and pasting the responses here.

  Specifically, My question was:

  I have been eating corn Tortillas ever since I was diagnosed with
Celiac
about 2 years ago. I get mine from Costco (In San Diego).  The brand is
Porkyland. The ingredient list does not look suspicious. I wanted to
get
feedback from other people to see if they have had issues with Corn
Tortillas in general.  Does anyone know specifically, whether the corn
Tortillas at Costco are Gluten free.

  ------------------------------
  I live in Mexico, so can tell you about some tortillas: Most are only corn flour (Maseca or Minsa brands) and lime to treat the corn. If you should find homemade or visit a Mexican restraunt or shop making their own ask if wheat flour is added. Some people here do add a little wheat flour at home. The Wal-Mart near me uses an inhancer, a powdered product I checked out to be gf. It gives a better texture to the tortillas and helps them last nicer.

  -----------------------------

  I don't know if they are gf - did you contact the company?  They may be
able to hlep you.  ALso, We eat Mission Corn Tortillas which state
right on the back of their package Gluten Free.
Good luck.

  --------------------------------
  Unqualified YES--they are GF.  No worries.

  -----------------------------------
  I  don't know about the Costco tortillas.
Mission brand corn tortillas are labeled GF, and are available is most
any
chain grocery store (at least here in southern Nevada).  I use them
with no
problems.

  --------------------------------

  The costco in Hawaii carries Mission Corn Tortillas

  -----------------------------
  Mission Corn Tortillas are GF (says so on the packet).  I get them at
regular
grocery stores.

  -------------------------------

  I've had some issue with a few different brands, especially since they
aren't required to tell you if they dust them with anything (usually
wheat
flour) to keep them separate... I know some have made me not feel well.

Costco has a lot of gluten-free options, contact their member services
if no
one can tell you for sure!

  ---------------------------
  I think they were Goya.  I saw them in the freezer at a supermarket (Weis? Giant?) and
  they looked like the ones in the Mexican restaurant.  They were small, about the size of
  a coffee cup saucer, and they were very thin, 20 or more to a package, frozen.  They
  were not the rough coarse ones you find in the refrigerator case.  I suspected because of
  the thin, light consistency there might be wheat because corn just does not make that
  smooth a batter or that flexible a pancake.  Sure enough, it had wheat in it.  At least I
  think it was Goya.  It was for sure one of those Spanish/Mexican type brands.  But it
  was definitely frozen.

  Yes, the package I saw mentioned wheat flour and corn flour.
  Paula in South central Pennsylvania

  ---------------------------
  I got sick on the thin flexible corn tortillas at a Mexican restaurant;
suspect they had
some wheat in them.  The frozen ones in the store (I think it was Goya)
had
wheat as well as maize flour.  You might want to check with the mfr.

The only place I can eat hard corn shell tacos and not get sick is Taco
Bell.

  If the ingredient lists say just corn, they must be OK.  I have never found a corn tortilla that is not OK.

  We eat corn tortillas and corn chips without a problem from several different manufacturers.  If the ingredients just say corn, oil and water, there shouldn't be a problem

  Regards
  --Arvinder

--Arvinder