From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 18:04:46 -0500

>Jeanean Davis <[log in to unmask]> wrote asking about:
>it contains Echinacea.  I've read the two recent posts about not
>taking Echinacea because it boosts the immune system.  But why is it
>bad? Don't we want to help our immune system.

Dear Jeanean:

I too was very confused concerning Echinacaea use for those of us with
faulty immune systems.  (Besides Celiac I also have allergies, asthma,
and MS all of which are autoimmune related). However as I understand the
problem it is precisely because we have an immune system THAT ACTS
INCORRECTLY that we do not want to cause it to work even harder.  That
would only increase our problems.  What we really need is something that
causes it to ACT CORRECTLY; which apparently is not Echinacea.

Dr. Tyler, a pharmacist that is big into herbs and writes a monthly
article on herbs in the magazine Prevention,  had an article on
Echinacea in the last year.  He has also written a book on herbs.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD