From:
Carolyn Gage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:25:13 -0500

I found this very helpful!  The Dr. also sent me some FAQ's about GERD.
They were too long to post to the list, but if you email me, I will
forward them.

Carolyn

I am a Family Physician with CD.  This is not a medical opinion, just a
friendly response; please confirm all information with your personal
physician.

IMHO--laparoscopic Nissan can be a wonderful procedure in the hands of
the right surgeon.  Technical expertise of the surgeon is single most
predictive indicator.  He/she should have done several hundred
procedures before I'd consider it.  If you have a large hiatal hernia
this can make it more problematic but can still be done.  Sometimes they
have to go in to your chest to get the defect in the diaphragm closed.
Check around a lot & get several opinions.

I was evaluated for GERD surgery several years ago and GI thought I was
a pretty good candidate.  We were living in Minneapolis at the time &
there are a couple of highly experienced surgeons there.  I chose to
wait & see & I'm glad I did.  Large meals after 6PM are the biggest
problem for me.  Your lower esophageal sphincter (muscle) will regain
some of its tone over time.

Alcohol a big problem too.

If you're recently diagnosed CD, I theorize that GERD very common due to
inflamed upper small bowel (& delayed gastric emptying) & may improve with time.