From:
Debra Berke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:09:41 EST
25. Gluten  Free Cornmeal Bread
(adapted from Cornmeal Bread  recipe from Favorite  Recipes I by Sunset
Magazine and Sunset   Books)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup sugar:  half white, half brown
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk: 1 tsp  vinegar  added to milk to equal 1 cup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2  teaspoon baking powder
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup corn flour (not  cornstarch)
1/2 teaspoon salt
In a 3-quart pan, melt butter  over  medium heat.  Remove from heat  and stir
in sugar.  Add eggs  and  beat until well blended.  Combine  sour milk and
soda
and stir into butter mixture.  Add cornmeal, corn flour, salt and   baking
powder; mix just until blended.  Pour batter into a greased  (with parchment
paper) 8-inch square baking  pan.  Bake in a   375° oven for 30 minutes, or
until
bread begins to pull away from  sides of pan or an inserted toothpick comes
out
clean.  Cut into  squares and serve  warm.  Makes 12 servings, 30g
carbohydrates each.  You can also  bake it at 350° for 40-45   minutes.
(If you double the recipe, use a 9” x 13” pan.  Bake at 375°  for 40 to 45
minutes).
26. I like the cornbread  recipe in Carol  Fenster's book, sorry can't
remember
which one right  now.   Actually, I think it's in several of her books.
27. Easy Blender   Cornbread
Yellow cornmeal is has more vitamins--white cornmeal is   tastier, its your
choice.

Melt 4 Tbs. butter in an 8" cast iron  skillet  while oven is preheating to
400º.
Mix in  blender:  1 c. milk or  milk  sub
1  egg
1 c.   cornmeal
1/2 tsp.  salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

When butter in  melted, tilt to grease skillet then  pour into blender.
Blend
again & pour into hot skillet.  Bake  about 20 minutes. Remove  promptly from
skillet to avoid a metallic taste.
Use  a 10" skillet  to double recipe.
27. West Tennessee  Corn Bread

1 egg   1 cup yellow  cornmeal
1/4 cup mayonnaise*         1/4 cup  sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk     1 ½ teaspoons  baking  powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil      ½ teaspoon   salt

In a mixing bowl, beat the egg, mayonnaise, buttermilk and oil  until
smooth.
Combine the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt, add  to the egg  mixture
and beat just until combined.
Grease an  ovenproof 6-inch skillet  or round baking dish, dust with
cornmeal.
Add  batter. Bake at 425 F for  18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
near the center comes out  clean.

* Reduced fat or fat-free  mayonnaise is not recommended for this  recipe.
28. Do you have a  copy  of the Joy of Cooking? I always use the crackling
corn bread  recipe, simply  substituting either all corn meal, or corn flour
for
the regular flour. Works  every time. If you don't have JofC let me  know,
and
I'll send you the recipe as  I've modified it.

29. I  make homemade  cornbread using Aunt Jemima Cornmeal and Bob's Red Mill

GF
all-purpose  blend. Turns out great.
30. I bought some  corn  meal from the grocery store and followed the recipe
on the box  for "traditional"  cornbread, substituting Arrowhead Mills GF All

Purpose Baking Mix for the flour  that was called for in the  recipe.  It was
little bit wet in my opinion  as a dough/batter,  but everything baked up
fine,
and generally tasted   okay.

However, I'm more of a sweeter cornbread fan, so I attempted  a  second batch
using the "sweet cornbread" recipe off the box of  cornmeal.   This recipe
has
more flour in it than cornmeal.   This time I tried using  Bette Hagman's
recipe for GF flour (2 parts  rice, 2/3 part potato starch, and  1/3 part
tapioca
starch) for the  flour called for in the recipe because I  thought it would
taste
better.  The batter was extremely wet, and I  attempted to add  some
additional cornmeal to thicken it up, but I probably  didn't add  enough, and
the
additional stirring also tends to dry out   cornbread.  So, I ended up with
cornbread
muffins that were sweet but  dry  in some spots, and very gooey/sticky in
other spots. Not very  tasty.  I  will probably try that recipe again with
some
modifications and see if it works  better.
31. Corn Bread  Dressing:

3 cups crumbled  cornbread
½ tsp. pepper
½ large  onion – chopped
10 slices GF white bread – crumbled
Add broth and water  to make juicy. Make sure it’s quite juicy or it will  be
dry.
5  eggs
1 stick oleo
1 tsp. sage
Salt
Mix well.  Pour into 9 x  13  pan.  Bake uncovered about 350 until  light
brown and  set, about 25-30 min.
CORNBREAD
1 cup GF flour mix (I use Bette Hagman’s  4 Flour blend)
¼ cup sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
1  tsp. xanthan gum
1 cup cornmeal
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk or  non-dairy substitute
¼ cup vegetable oil
Sift dry ingredients into  mixing bowl.  Combine eggs, milk & oil; pour into
dry  ingredients.  Beat just until  smooth.  Pour into greased 8  inch
square
glass pan.  Bake at 425 for  20-25  min.