From:
jeff black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:38:13 -0700

I have noticed several recent posts about the need for a celiac test that
does not require a gluten challenge. We are working on developing such a
test at the University of Utah.  If we can find genes associated with
gluten sensitivity, then it might be possible to diagnose celiac disease
by analyzing DNA from cheek cells rather than relying on the small bowel
biopsy.  Such a method could confirm celiac disease in self diagnosed
celiacs who have already gone gluten free and don't feel up to doing a
gluten challenge.

We need families or extended families with two or more biopsy or endomysial
antibody confirmed cases who would be willing to send us a small blood
sample.  We pay for all the costs and will screen immediate relatives of
confirmed cases in qualifying families for endomysial antibodies.  We
currently have some promising results but need more related celiacs to
confirm them.  A couple of large families with several cases or several
smaller families might be all we need.  I encourage you to call me at
1-800-444-8638 ext.  1-5075 or email me if you want to participate.

Jeff Black   [log in to unmask]