From:
Melanie Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melanie Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:16:23 -0800

I've been searching the archives for information on invoking the Americans with Disabilities Act at public schools for accommodation of Celiac.  I couldn't find anything definitive, so thought I would ask these questions to see if anyone has more info:

1.  At my daughter's Junior High, I've asked the cafeteria for ingredient and preparation info on several foods that she would like to eat there.  It's been two months and they are still struggling to answer my questions.  Does anyone know if they are obligated to provide gluten free alternatives?  Or, would this just apply to those students who qualify for free or subsidized meals?

2.  My daughter (she's in eighth grade) has a Home Arts class that includes a cooking unit.  Two years ago, they simply sent her out of the class during that unit and didn't provide an alternative.  I didn't object at that time because she was newly diagnosed, very sensitive to any public discussions, etc.  This year, they are offering essentially the same thing, although more formal and organized.  She can choose another class to attend rather than Home Arts because they can't vary the curriculum for her.  I find this hard to accept.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Aren't they refusing to provide a reasonable accommodation for her chronic illness?

I would appreciate any insights and advice you can offer.

Thanks,
Melanie Neal