From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:52:42 -0400

I am a member of a food coop that requires members to do a 2 3/4 hour
work slot every four weeks. I have been getting a celiac reaction
from working on the selling floor. I rarely walk down the bulk bin
aisle, though I have to be at the end of it. And I never walk down
the bread aisle, but again I must be at the end of it. The end of
bread aisle stinks of wheat. They have fresh bread delivered daily
that is barely wrapped. (Actually I think some is delivered unwrapped
and workers put in paper bags. I have refused to work in that aisle.)

For my work slot I can switch to doing something in the office
upstairs. But I think I am also getting a reaction from just shopping there.

I had food intolerance testing done by Optimum Health Resource
Laboratories. They advertise here on some firsts of the month. The
tests showed me high for wheat (white and whole), spelt, rye, but not barley.

In the bulk bin they sell wheats and spelt. No rye flour. This
implies that the rye is also coming from the bread and not just
particulates in the air from people filling the bulk bins. The bins
are filled all the time. I went on Sunday morning at 6:15 AM and
there was a fellow pouring some flour into a bin.

My question is can I remain a member and shop there, or should I quit
and accept substantially higher prices for my food elsewhere? If I
remain a member, I would want to shop with a face mask. A fellow
suggested I write across the front something like: "I am very
allergic to wheat dust/fumes."

But will a face mask be enough? Do I have to wear a respirator? I
have one, but it would look awfully odd wearing a respirator every
time I shop there for the next 30 years.

Am I only being troubled by the particulates, or is the smell of the
bread getting to me? If it is the smell, would anything less than a
respirator work?

Getting more food intolerance testing along the way to see if
shopping and not working is okay is very expensive.

Does anyone have any insight on being safe from bread fumes?

Don.

P.S. I got the food intolerance testing to try to find the cause of a
mild case of psoriasis. I know gluten is high on the list of causes,
but I have been strict gluten-free for 23 years. It now seems that
gluten is my cause. It takes time for the psoriasis clear. I can
follow it with shopping and not working to see what happens. But what
type of face mask to start with?

*******
*******