From:
Genevieve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Genevieve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:41:01 -0600

Here is the summary of places with gluten free foods in the St. Paul area.  Two years ago there were only about four responses.  This year I received many more places which sound wonderful.  I have arranged the shopping places by community and the restaurants by each name. I combined what people said about some of the places to make it more usable and readable.   I went to the web to obtain addresses and telephone numbers when available.  Many thanks go to all people who responded. The quotes are from our responders.
Our internet provider was hit by lightening; therefore, I was not able to get the summary sooner.

For shopping:

1.  Bayport, MN:  Bread Art; 110 North 3rd St.; Bayport, MN 55003;   (651)-351-1475     Bakes gluten-free items (breads, muffins, cookies, coffee cakes) on Tuesday. It is not a totally gf bakery, but has a lot of celiac customers.  Directions: take 95 North off I 94 toward Wisconsin to Bayport on the St. Croix River.
2.  Burnsville, MN:  Valley Natural Foods; 13750 Co Rd 11; (952) 891-1212; They have GF products.  It is a short drive from Eagan.

3.  Eagan, MN:  Bittersweet GF Bakery; 2105 Cliff Rd. (between Cedar and 35E); 651 686-0112. Totally gluten free.  The baked goods are excellent.
4. Minneapolis, MN 55405-3027:  The Wedge Co-op; 2105 Lyndale Ave S. (Lyndale and Franklin); (612) 871-3993)   http://www.wedgecoop.com/
 This is the best place for GF food.  They bake their own GF bread which is in the bread isle, and have several GF hot entrees.  They also have baked goods (usually a different kind of muffin, several kinds of cookies, one or two cakes or cheesecakes, and sometimes zucchini or banana bread).  All of their deli food is labeled as to whether it is gluten-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, etc, with great ingredient lists. They have a good selection of gf flours and mixes and many kinds of packaged cookies, pastas, and snacks. They are very friendly and helpful to Celiacs. They periodically have classes on GF cooking. HIGHLY recommended.

5.  Minneapolis, MN:  Whole Foods;   3060 Excelsior Blvd.  (612) 927-8141 has gluten free grocery items.

6.  Minnetonka, MN:  Lakewinds Co-op; 17523 Minnetoka Blvd.;(952) 473-0292  http://www.lakewinds.com/index.asp
Has a respectable selection of gf items (scones, cakes, cookies, breads, and muffins). Deli items aren't labeled as well as the Wedge. They have classes and the woman who teaches
(Debra Smith) has a cookbook .  Her French bread recipe alone was worth the purchase price.

7. Rochester, MN:  Bread Baker Company; Miracle Mile Center, 16-17th Avenue NW,
Bakes GF cookies and pizza crust on Tuesdays, Can be picked up between
4 and 6 pm Tuesday and on Wed. It is not a totally gf bakery, but they have a
lot of celiac customers.

8.  Roseville, MN:  Rainbow Foods carries many GF products.  Their fruits/vegetable section is also good.

9. St. Paul, MN: Mississippi Market.  It is located at Selby and Dale in St. Paul. Mississippi Market, which is the big co-op in St. Paul

10. St. Paul, MN:  Whole Foods; Grand and Fairview (30 South Fairview); (651) 690-0197.  They carry GF grocery products. They have a fairly large meat market.
11. St Paul, MN: Good Earth in St Paul

12. Shoreview, MN:  Fresh & Natural Foods; 1075 West Hwy 96; (651) 203-3663.  They have gluten-free baked items from Bittersweet Bakery and their deli offers GF
meatballs, lasagna and meatloaf. They will make a gluten-free sandwich.
14. Stillwater, MN: River Market, 221 North Main St. Offers GF baked goods from Bittersweet Bakery.

15. White Bear Lake, MN:  Sassafras Health Foods on 2186 Third Street (downtown)  Carries gluten-free items.

Restaurants:

1. Sidneys Restaurants are located in:
Eagan, MN: 3330 Pilot Knob Road; 651/ 454-6400
St. Paul, MN: 917 Grand Avenue; 651/ 227-5000
Edina, MN:  Galleria Shopping Center; 70th Street & France Avenue;  952/ 925-2002
Minnetonka, MN:  15600 West State Highway; 7952/ 933-1000
Vadnais Heights, MN: 935 East County Road E;  651/ 287-3900
Woodbury Grill, MN:  1795 Radio Drive; 651/ 735-2400
Minneapolis, MN:  2120 Hennepin Avenue South; 612/ 870-7000
Sidneys has rice noodles that can be used to make any pasta dish and they have a gluten free menu.  Make sure that they understand to cook the rice noodles in a separate pot and not in the
big pasta cooker with the wheat pasta. They are very aware of what is in their food, and definitely willing to get answers to you. http://www.sidneysrestaurant.com/
2.  PF Chang in Southdale has a GF menu
3.  Good Earth Village; 3460 W. 70th St.; Edina, MN (952) 925-1001 - Casual place
4.  Jensens Supper Club;  3840 Sibley Memorial Hwy.; Eagen, MN - Middle priced - casual - salad, steak or seafood, and garlic potatoes all gluten free.  Very knowledgeable
5.  Basil's Restaurant: 710 Marquette Ave.; MPLS, MN  (612) 376-7404. They serve steak on bed of spinach with a veal reduction sauce and potato slices.  They also have creme brulee.
6.  Manny's Restaurant - upper scale - very knowledgeable staff - downtown mlps [I'm not certain which one of several.]
7. Oceanaire Seafood Room; 1300 Nicollet Mall; Minneapolis, MN. (612) 333-2277  Seafood - upper scale. Downtown mlps
8.  Ecopolitan; 2409 Lyndale Ave. S; Minneapolis, MN  (612) 874-7336.  With only a couple of exceptions, everything on the menu is wheat and gf.  It is however raw and vegetarian, but you might just be surprised, even if you are a carnivore.  www.ecopolitan.net

9.  There are many Thai restaurants around the Twin Cities.  Downtown St. Paul (and Mpls.) They are Sawatdee.

10.  There is an Afghan restaurant in St. Paul, Khyber Pass.

11.  There are numerous Chipotle Mexican Restaurants around the metro area.

12.  The Burrito Bol (burrito without a flour taco) is a personal favorite. They
also have hardshell tacos, and the shells are made from corn.

Another suggestion:
Go to www.outback.com , www.carrabbas.com , www.bonefishgrill.com .   They are all owned by Outback Steakhouse and have a gluten free menu on their web sites and also a location map.  Print a copy of the menu, take it with you, and ask for the manager.