Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:08:39 -0500

Hi,

I am new to the list and newly diagnosed.  Since going gluten-free about
a month ago, I have not been to a resturant.  I guess I am nervous about
it.  I would love to get some idea of resturants in my area (Bergen
County, NJ) where they are helpful and accommodating to the celiac's
dietary restrictions.  In addition, chain resturants with known
gluten-free meals would be useful.  I would also enjoy comments on this
resturant card, which I made by combining two cards that someone else
sent me and modifying it a little.  Not sure who wrote the originals, so
I can't give them credit, sorry.  I am not sure how detailed/complete I
need to be...  Thank you for your comments.

-Debbie

-----------------------------------

I have Celiac Disease - a medical condition in which the small intestine
is damaged when I eat foods containing gluten.  I must treat my
condition strictly, adhering to a gluten free diet.  I must not eat any
foods made with wheat, rye, triticale, barley or oats.  All of these
grains contain gluten. Even a very small amount of these foods will make
me ill.

I have severe reactions to foods which contain:

   Wheat
   Rye
   Barley
   Oats
   Millet
   And their derivatives.

Foods to avoid:

Wheat, rye, barley, quinoa, oat and spelt flour.  Bread, rolls, cakes,
pies, cookies and muffins.  Noodles and pasta.  Soups, sauces and
gravies made with wheat flour.  Crackers, cracker crumbs, bread crumbs,
batter, graham crackers and graham cracker crumbs.

Hidden sources of gluten (sometimes)
   Annato color
   Caramel color
   Dextrins
   Emulisifiers
   Extracts w/grain alcohol
   Hydrolyzed wheat protein
   Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (HVP)
   Hydrolyzed Plant Protein (HPP),
   Malt
   Malt flavoring
   Marinades w/distilled alcohol
   Modified food starch (unless specified as corn or rice)
   Natural flavor (unspecified)
   Vinegar distilled from grain
   Soy sauce with wheat

Any of the above ingredients may be found in such foods as bouillon
cubes, soup or gravy bases, sliced or processed meats, processed
cheeses, spices and seasonings, soy sauces, barbecue sauces and salad
dressings.

I must also be concerned with food preparation.

If my food comes in contact with offending grains it is considered
contaminated; i.e.:

   * food cooked in the same fryer that is used for
breaded foods
   * meats cooked on the same grill as buns or pancakes
   * if the grill has been used for breaded foods, please
use aluminum foil

Safe Choices:

Fresh meat, fish, fruits, vegetable, eggs, and cheese.  Fresh herbs and
spices.  Rice, corn, soy, tapioca, and potato products.

I appreciate the effort you make in preparing my foods.  I can become
quite ill if there is contamination

Thank you for your cooperation with my dietary requests.