From:
Anderson's <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anderson's <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:58:05 -0600

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Unfortunately, I got mixed opinions
about using these. I've decided to NOT risk it on my celiac son, but instead
use them for my other 3 kids. They seem like a good product. I'll re-cap the
response from the company, and then summarize:

        " Individuals with Celiac can take Juice Plus because the product is Gluten
free. All Juice Plus+® products are gluten free.  The oats and barley
ingredients
in Juice Plus+® consist of the outer part  of the grain that does not
contain gluten.
Gluten is found in the inner part of the grains, which is not used in the
Juice Plus+® products.  If necessary, NSA can send you a letter stating that
Juice
Plus+® products are gluten free."
They are okay.  We are on them and I questioned the same thing myself, but
the part of the grain does not contain gluten.  The molecules can not get
through during the processing.  My daughter is on them and she says she
feels great and that her nails (she is almost 14 years old!) are better than
fake nails!

Hi,I have always heard that even a small amount of gluten from these grains
is
enough to harm.It would be impossible to remove 100% of the gluten from any
part of these grains .I would be highly suspect of these products.I have
gotten similar responces from other companies that say the amount of
possible
contyamination is so small as to be inconsecuential .I don't believe there
is
such an amount .Any amount of contamination is consecuential.

All I can say is that I stopped taking a barley-grass
preparation that is clearly labelled gluten-free just
because I wanted no confusion about what was causing
me symptoms.  They've probably tested the product and
found the gliaden level to be below the tiny amounts
that allow them to say there's "no gluten" in the
product.  I'm not willing to take that chance with my
own body, since I can be getting minute quantities
from other sources, and that can all eventually add up
to enough to give me a reaction.
I have since found a chewable gummy for my 7 year old that works fine.  It's
a little cheaper than Juice Plus, too.  They are called "Yummi Bears" (you
have to take about 4-6 a day) and are found in health food stores and some
Ralphs and other major grocery stores.

They come in all different types of groups (ie. Whole Foods, Vit. C,...).
My girls take the whole foods ones (made of fruits and veggies).  To me,
it's like ensuring they get their fruits and veggies every day should I not
serve enough to them.  The other vitamin I give them is a Flintstones
(sometimes the 'iron' or the 'complete' one).  Finally, they take 'Viactiv"
calcium chews (choc.).  The co. told me they are GF and they come in a few
flavors at Ralphs, Sav-On, Target and other major stores.

Another product I make for my Celiac daughter is a soy protein shake.  I'm
not sure if your son can have soy, but it seems to put the weight on my
child and I know she's had something healthy.  It's just the powder you put
with your own ingredients (I do OJ, froz. strawberries and a banana or two
or apple juice, etc..).  Below is the info for these companies.  Please
e-mail me if you have any further questions.  I've put a few Celiac families
on these and they have thanked me later.  Hope it helps

I would personally be very skeptical of the claim about oats or barley
bran being gluten free. They are certainly using commercially grown and
harvested grains, and there is ample opportunity for the grain to be
coated in dust from broken kernels during the harvesting, storage, and
transport of the grains. Some of this dust would be wheat dust from
previous crops, since wheat and oats are harvested and processed with
the same equipment. Even washing the bran would not remove all of
the dust. Their certification letter probably states that the gluten
level is 'below detectable limits', which will be a true statement. The
unfortunate part is that some celiacs may still react to quantities
below the detectable limit threshold.

I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.  There are plenty of
fine vitamins products that are totally GF to waste my time & money on
one that "might" be.
I wouldn't trust anything that said it contained barley and oats no matter
what the company said.
I have no interest in this company -other then they have been very helpful
to me -I
order from them all the time. They are called Kirkmans Lab they are located
in
Oregon  ph: 800-245-8282. The specialize in gluten free /casein free
supplements
and vitiams. They will talk to you over the phone with very helpful advice.
They
sent me 2 books one on intestinal health and the other about their
products -both
are great research. I don't know what I would have done without them when my
son had a severe intestinal infection and his behavior went wild. I use
there products
everyday and have had no problems.
Yikes, it's scary to trust people anymore....Personally, I don't think that
I would take those!
I was giving my kids the Juice Plus gummies but because of the barley listed
I stopped.  I too was told that it should be safe but didn't want to take a
chance on something given daily.
I just got the same answer when I was sold Rainbow Light calcium
supplements, and told they were GF. It has barley grass, oat grass and kamut
grass in it. NO THANK YOU. I am extremely sensitive to cross contamination,
and I can't imagine even thinking about getting this stuff near my lips! It
doesn't seem like a smart idea to me.
I sort of doubt that they could extract the barley core without some
contamination.  I wouldn't risk it. I don't think they know their business.
I have been taking Juice Plus for 2 years now.  I feel my immune system is
optimum now.  I haven’t had a cold in all that time.

I have a letterhead letter from the company that their products are GF.  I
don’t know how they take any trace amounts of gluten out of some things, but
they say they do.  It’s a personal decision.