Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:41:03 -0400

First, let me say that this is one caring, funny,
down-to-earth bunch of people and I'm glad to be here (if
not for the reason).

Now for the consensus regarding my post about a friend who
remarked that I should get out and do more:  I received over
a hundred emails.  Most were written to commiserate, with
people sharing sad stories about how their own friends and
family members (usually family members!) make careless
hurtful comments and are sometimes downright mean.  Makes
you wonder about human nature!  I'm sure Dr. Hannibal Lecter
could explain the psychology behind these remarks - and
furnish us all with some great GF recipes!

A few (very few) didn't know what to make of my post, but
that's my bad -  I neglected to mention that I've only been
diagnosed for two weeks after a lifetime of problems (and a
really bad last twenty years or so), am still feeling pretty
rotten and having a lot of pain, and don't know what else
the doc might come up with (other allergies, etc), AND that
I've had first a nasty virus and then a secondary sinus
infection since getting diagnosed, which really bummed me
out since I was hoping to start feeling better quicker.  I
would like to assure those few (who basically said that, if
I've been diagnosed and am following the diet, I really
should feel like exercising and doing more) that, yes, I do
exercise and trip the light fantastic at every opportunity
when a virus hasn't been added to my usual list of symptoms,
which is one reason I was so down about being sick that the
advice to get out and do more really stung.

And one person, taking offense at my statement that, as a
nurse, I would never tell a patient to get off his arse and
do something, felt the need to inform me that many nurses
had been very mean to her.  After I stopped laughing, I
wrote her that I guess it takes all kinds - of nurses and
patients.

Thanks, everybody,
Shelia