From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 19:40:34 -0400

Jim Lyles wrote:

>If hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) has been added to it, then it must
>also be declared as an ingredient.  Also, I believe it is now required
>that the source be listed for hydrolyzed vegetable protein (wheat, corn,
>etc.),

HVP need not be declared. It is perfectly legal to call it flavorings or
natural flavors, or as I posted recently natural juices. Possibly what Jim
is thinking about is the USDA, which I believe does now require the protein
source. Also Jim refers to "ingredient." Things that are added as
flavorings have less stringent requirements than ingredients. There is some
level under which it becomes a flavoring. Possibly 2%. But again remember
you have the USDA (meats) and the FDA (everything else), with different
regulations.

Don.