From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:31:09 -0400

Found this recipe for Passover. Didn't try it. It works for gf. It sounds like a very rich torte, rather than a cake-like product.

1/2 lb (1 stick)  non-dairy margarine (or unsalted butter, if dairy is o.k.), cut in pieces
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, broken in pieces
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs, large or extra-large
1/4 tsp. almond extract (I'd try vanilla extract if I didn't have almond.)
1 2/3 cups (about 5 1/2 oz.) finely ground almonds, walnuts or pecans

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Spray an 8 or 9 inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment or wax paper and spray again.
(I think I'd use a spring-form pan and grease it, but skip the paper.)
Melt butter and chocolate in microwave or in saucepan until half-melted. Remove from heat and stir until completely melted.
Stir in sugar, eggs, and extract. Fold in the ground nuts until evenly mixed and pour into pan.
Bake 35 minutes until top is crusty and edges are set, but center is soft.
Cool in pan on a rack until comfortable to touch. Run a knife around the edges and invert onto another rack (I'd put it on a plate). Refrigerate for 1 hour. Serves 12. (That's what makes me think this is a very rich torte!)