From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:42:54 -0500

Dear list:

After the first summary I received more interesting replies, so here is
a new summary, plus the benefits of my own research prompted by the
earlier replies:

Since many mentioned skin I had a consultation with a dermatologist who
has put me on special moisturizers and non-soap cleansers in preparation
for the radiation.

I changed GI  doctors to one who is sympathetic to the side-effects of
radiation on celiac (or gluten enteropathy) patients.  He was very
supportive of my desires to function at full energy during the therapy.
The radiation oncologist found no difficulty whatsoever with the
prospect of daily water aerobics. But I will coat my skin with Crisco
before entering the pool. (This hint also gleaned from this remarkably
helpful list.)

SHARE, the NYC breast cancer support group is having an evening session
on nutrition on Tuesday, March 23 at 7:30, conducted by Susan Spector,
who is known to NYC  celiacs as knowledgeable about celiac disease.
SHARE's  telephone no: 212-382-2111.
Thanks to everyone. Nancy in nyc

The replies:
1.  Be sure and read this page about a healing oil for burns:
http://www.myfreeoffice.com/emutanicals/doc1.html
Although the burns in this research study were not radiation burns, the
implications are that Emu Oil is superior to anything else to heal burns.
This oil is a pure, ordorless product which exceeds Internation Guidelines.
http://www.myfreeoffice.com/emutanicals

2.  From a doctor who had radiation therapy for breast cancer:  I used a clay
with lavender oil in it which I put on afterwards to reduce local skin damage
(told to me by an oncologist in the childrens ward - no evidence to back it
up but I tried it anyway).  However it did not really help as I had some
fairly painful burns under the breast (moist and difficult to treat) .  I
used creams with vitamin A and bacteriocidal ointments...  the radiotherapy
nurses were brilliant at dressing the wounds and making me feel comfortable.
The burns will take some weeks after radio is finished to heal as the
epithelial cells are damaged too of course.  ..  the skin side effects which
were the only ones I experienced The other major side effect they tell you
about is fatigue which I have not really found a problem except in the weeks
when I am on the chemo..  BUT the other women with whom I am having my radio
are not on chemo and have been tired on radio and quite depressed.  So good
to have people look after you a bit .

3. from  Robyn Fairlie
Sydney, Australia
email address:  [log in to unmask]
 I would be more than happy for you to pass on this message to anyone
else on the list who responded to you,  and wishes to have contact with
a fellow celiac.

I had radiation therapy for breast cancer just under two years ago. ...
I am the patient representative for the hospital's breast cancer
education and support group.  If you have any ongoing questions after
this, please let me know and I can ask for you from the medical
professionals.  My surgeon was very concerned for me regarding the
proper exercise after my surgery for both the lumpectomy and axilla node
removal (17 nodes removed, all negative).   My armpit was very
restricted for about six weeks ... It not only gives time for the wound
to heal, but you also get the chance to gently exercise your arm.

You may expect that you'll feel fatigued about half way through your
treatment. ...Body and mind are undergoing a tremendous change due to
the shock of diagnosis and  surgery.  Processing anaesthetic out of your
body can take up to six months. ...Friends and family sometimes can't
cope with their own fear and unfamiliarity with the whole process.

Regarding dietary repercussions, I have never met another celiac who has
had breast cancer and I found it quite frustrating that the oncologists
didn't quite connect with my concerns about malabsorption.  During the
latter stages of radiotherapy and for several months afterwards, the
skin on my hands became paper-thin and would tear easily,rather like a
very old person's.  .. radiotherapy can cause a  zinc deficiency.
...Some doctors don't seem to understand that people with malabsorption
problems may be prone to needing extra vitamin/mineral supplements at
this time. I acquired a strong need for lean beef nearly every day
during treatment, which I presumed was my body's desire for iron.  Your
body will probably develop a craving for something else that satisfies
its needs.  Some people find that if they drink a lot of fresh fruit and
vegetable juices every day, they feel more strength.  I think you may be
told  however, that while you are undergoing the actual radiotherapy,
you shouldn't take any antioxidant vitamin supplements.   Some can
interfere with the effectiveness of the treatment.
About six months ago I discovered a wonderful brand of nutrients called
"JuicePlus".   They are definitely GF according to a pharmacist I spoke
with who is a company  representative. JuiceLite, is also GF, but
JuiceThins are not GF.
...People recovering after cancer treatment should increase the amount
to three capsules of each. Look up the keyword Juiceplus on the internet
you can see for yourself

To heal the  burned skin:
For the sake of approximate ratios, use a liqueur glass.  If you  want
to transfer it to a small bottle, I think it translates to 50mls. Fill
almost completely a liqueur glass with any good cold-pressed vegetable
oil.  You add to this 6-8 drops of pure lavender oil, the active
ingredient. Use your fingers to gently smooth the oil over the whole
area that is being irradiated, including your scar(if healed).  Apply at
least once daily, or twice if possible.  You shouldn't apply it before
your treatment session, as the area must be completely dry. ... I also
took internally 20,000 mgs vitamin A, 500 mgs of vitamin E and approx
5,000 mgs vitamin C every day after the treatment finished.  These are
all well known good antioxidants and the vitamin C especially assists
your body to rid itself of the toxins created by the x-rays.

I had trouble sleeping, and found a late night recreation outlet in
Latin dancing--a wonderful way to reconnect with "normality" and remind
myself that this was a temporary situation ...
Your body tells you what it can handle. ...Embrace whatever activity
gives you the most pleasure. You may find yourself being quite
protective of the affected area by keeping your other arm ever ready to
keep others from accidentally bumping into you.

...The only other significant side-effect was short-term memory loss.
Buy a lambswool wrap-around for your car seatbelt right where it touches
your chest.  There are also light undergarments you can buy to put next
to your skin, like the brief tops worn by aerobic instructors etc.  but
in a  very softcotton, not lycra. Wear your most comfortable bra and put
a soft gauze dressing inside it  as a padding next to your skin.  ...no
underwires, as your skin may chafe a little during the radiation. ...
...I have found during my two years that you don't find out all you need
to know at the time when you need it most.  That is why I have extended
my reply beyond your question on radiation.  Some of what I am saying
may be hard to identify with now, so I recommend that you keep it on
hand and see what happens later on.