From:
cheryl leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
cheryl leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:11:11 -0500

Recipes --

1. Are you looking for a sugar type cookie?

1 1/2 cups white rice flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup(2sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg white, optional.  You only need the egg white if you are decorating the cookies with sanding sugar.
Sanding sugar, any color(coarse colored sugar)

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together white rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum and baking powder.  Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and confectioners' sugar for 30 seconds on medium-high speed.
Add egg and vanilla.  Blend, on medium speed, for 45 seconds.
Add flour mixture and blend, on medium speed, for 1 minute.
Divide dough in half, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 .  Parchment line a cookie pan(or two or three.  Use an many pans as you have handy.)
Remove dough from the refrigerator.  Allow it to sit on the counter for 10 minutes.
Lightly rice flour your counter top.  Roll dough about 1/8 inch think.  Using cookie cutters, cut into desired shapes.  Place cookies on prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
If desired, lightly brush surface of cookies with egg white and generously sprinkle sanding sugar onto the surface of the cookie.
Bake.  Depending on the size of the cutter you use, bake time will vary.  We used cutters about 4 inches high and 3 inches across and our cookies took 10 minutes to bake.  You want to bake these cookies until the edges are golden brown.
Remove cookies from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool. They will be very fragile when first handling.
Repeat until all the dough is used.
Makes about 3 dozen, depending on cookie cutter size.
We also frost these cookies.

2.
Cut Out cookies

1/2 C Butter

1 C Sugar

2 Eggs

2 Tbsp Milk

1 Tsp Vanilla

2 1/2 C Flour Mix (see below for the mix I use and LOVE)

1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder

Pinch Salt

Cream together butter and sugar.

In separate bowl stir together eggs, milk and vanilla.

In separate bowl mix together dry ingredients.

Alternately add wet and dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mix. Mix well (I ended up having to use my hands to get it all mixed together well) Divide into 4 balls and chill 1-2 hours (this is really important and worked REALLY well) Roll and cut (I sprinkled the counter and the top of the dough with confectioners sugar and that worked great to prevent sticking but didn't give them a flour taste) Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

Flour Mixture:

2 1/2 C Rice flour (brown or white is fine)

1 C Potato Starch

1 C Tapioca Starch

1/4 C Cornstarch

1/4 C Sorghum Flour

2 Tbsp Xanthan Gum

3.

Cut Out Sugar Cookie II

1 cup CF margarine

2/3 cup sugar

1 egg or egg replacer to equal

1 tsp. vanilla

2 ½ cups GF cookie flour (1 cup rice flour, ¾ cup sweet rice flour, ¼ cup

cornstarch [use arrowroot if corn is not tolerated],

½ cup potato starch)

½ tsp. xanthan gum

½ tsp. salt

Cream margarine with sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat. In a separate bowl, measure out the gluten free flour mixture, the xanthan gum and salt. With a fork, combine dry ingredients until well mixed. Add to creamed mixture and beat for one minute. Chill dough for 2-3 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°, and dust a smooth surface with 1-2 tablespoons rice flour or cornstarch. Roll out dough to 1/8" thickness. You can also roll out half the dough at a time between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to lightly greased cookie sheet with a spatula. Bake 8 minutes. Cool and frost if desired.

Frosting:

2 tbls.CF margarine, softened

1 tsp. vanilla

2 - 3 cups powdered sugar

1 - 3 tablespoons of milk substitute

Beat together the margarine and vanilla. Add 2 cups powdered sugar and beat. Keep alternating sugar and milk until consistency is thick and smooth and doesn't drip off a knife.