From:
Leif Thorvaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 01:14:50 -0800

Hi, Folks!  Am scheduled finally, for a CT body scan on 18 Apr after much
finagling with the medical folks doing the scan.  I have to have a certain
low residue diet for two days prior to the exam.  I inquired as to the GF
status of the furnished food and drink items and all hell broke loose.  It
seemed that I was the first Celiac to undergo their procedure.  Allegedly
they did battle with the providers of the items and it took them four weeks
to get it worked out.  They pulled the two "main meals" out of the box of
food (two cups of soup, essentially), and told me that I didn't have to have
the barium solution.  When I got the box, it contained four bottles of
Tagitol (Barium Sulfate Suspension).  I called them back and am playing
phone tag with them, but the E-Z-EM company that produces the whole food
pack plus the tagitol provided the barium solution that I took at a previous
x-ray procedure which contained gluten and made me sick for a week.  I tried
then to find out about GF barium solution and discovered that they had two
formulas for it.  I understand that the Tagitol is different from the usual
barium solution, but I don't know if it is GF.  The upshot of this whole
story is:  Has anyone on this group had experience with Tagitol and can say
whether it is GF or not.  I have sent an email to the company, but as I
recall they were very cagey and not forthcoming in replying during my
previous dealings with them.  Thanks,

Leif