From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:55:16 EST

Listmates,

Here are exerpts from some of the responses I've had so far in regards to my
question about viral triggers and CD, with the original quote from the book
"Against the Grain" by jax lowell placed first:

"One possible cause (of CD)  is infection with common agents such as viruses.
At least one virus has been shown to possess a similar protein composition to
toxic fractions of gluten.  Theoretically, infection with this virus exposes
the immune system to an antigen that is "shared" with the intestinal
epithelium, or lining.  Long after the virus has disappeared, the immune
system continues to attack the body's own tissue, wich produces celiac
disease."

My question:  what is the name of this virus, and what does it do?

Saskia Smith

I will post any new info or follow ups

*This is from a good cd site for doctors repelete with many photographs.
Detailed discussion of adenovirus 12 wasn't included, but it was mentioned.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/ (a good sourcepage)

"studies of patients with celiac disease using molecular techniques
demonstrate a strong association with specific HLA class II genotypes.
Approximately 95 percent of patients with celiac disease have a particular
type of HLA DQ alpha and beta chain encoded by two genes, HLA-DQA1 0501 and
HLA-DQB1 0201.10 If people genetically predisposed to celiac disease do not
ingest gluten, they have no manifest illness. Delaying ingestion of gluten
products through breast feeding or dietary habits may change or delay the
onset of disease.11 Viral exposures may trigger an immunologic response in
persons genetically susceptible to celiac disease; this occurs with adenovirus
type 12, which shares a sequence of eight to 12 amino acids with the toxic
gliadin fraction.12 "
*****************************
I have a background in microbiology and immunology and I have read that the
trigger can be an adenovirus.  This is a virus that causes and upper
respiratory infection.
********************************
I am not a health care professional.  I read in the handbook by the CSA/USA
people, which is called "On the Celiac Condition: a Handbook for Celiac
Patients," that "Recently, there has been research directed to celiac disease
as being linked to a rare virus.  Human adenovirus 12 (Ad12) infection may be
the trigger that sets off the autoimmune chain reaction that causes the
syndrome.  The epidemiology of Ad 12, which was isolated from the human
intestinal tract, is unknown."  It goes on to generally state how they found
Ad 12 was essentially identical to alpha-gliadin.  Eighty-nine percent of
untreated adult celiac patients showed some evidence of infection of Ad 12 and
between 5 and 33 percent of treated adults.  Dr. Martin Kagnoff at the
University of California-San Diego has done some research on this.  Maybe he's
found some links and has published something on this subject.  Verrrry
Interesting, eh?
*******************************
Can't say that I know which virus it is by name, but my little boy started
showing symptoms of CD after a severe bout of chicken pox - fortunately, he
was diagnosed within three months.  But, prior to the chicken pox, no real
CD symptoms.
************************************
Sounds like bunk to me.  True Celiac Disease is congenital.  We are born with
this inability to detoxify the gliadin faction of gluten.  The author may be
referring to some similar type of non-specific Sprue.  He should not use the
word Celiac.

The above information comes from Medical Doctors and The World Congress on
Celiac Disease, not just my opinion.
***************************************
My understanding was celiac sprue can be triggered by a virus which I took to
mean any kind of virus (flu, etc.).  I'm not certaon on this so will look
forward to your summary.
I found your post very interesting because I have CD and I have a son who
has diabetes that was the result of a virus (two of his friends also had
the same virus and developed diabetes).  I can't help but think that
there must be a connection since they are both diseases of the
auto-immune system.
There was an article I found in Medline called the Possible role for a human
adenovirus in the pathogenesis of celiac disease.  It was written by Kagnoff,
MF, Austin, RK, Hubert, JJ, Bernardin JE, Kasarda DD.

The article said that even though an individual might inherit the genotype
that predisposes them to develop Celiac, less than .2% develop it.  So there
must be other triggers  and one of them might be the adenovirus which has an
amino acid sequence that is similar to A-gliadin which is a trigger in Celiac
disease.
*******************
I have thought since my diagnosis of celiac disease 2 years ago that the viral
pneumonia which I had in both lungs when I was l3 years old is what caused my
CD. I probably had it in dormant form but never would have actually gotten
sick (to the point of almost dying years later and undiagnosed with CD) if I
hadn't had this severe case of pneumonia. I had it in both lungs and was out
of school for 2 months; I was an athlete who lettered in 3 sports prior to
this case of pneumonia. I was on the way to being able to try out for the
Olympic swim team. After the pneumonia, my health deteriorated and I was never
the same.
******************************
I have read somewhere that it's adenovirus type 12. Whatever that may be. :)
I tried to find information on the internet but I only found out it contains
some gluten like fraction. And:

"Human adenoviruses commonly cause acute infections of the respiratory and
GI tracts, the eye, and various other tissues. They also form long-term
persistent infections, and their reemergence is a problem in
immunocompromised patients. Recently, there has been a great deal of
interest in using adenoviruses as vectors for specialized vaccines and for
gene therapy."
Your theory is extremely interesting, although I can't shed any scientific
evidence, my celiac disease started after a lengthy stay in Mexico where I
became extremely ill.  I was subsequently tested for malaria, other
tropical diseases and eventually CD was diagnosed.  Please keep me
informed if you get any other responses.  All the best
www.chronicillnet.org/online/bensweet.html#anchor714274  *my note* This site
was sent to me from someone but it really doesn't discuss CD or adenovirus 12.
It is a discussion about THE POLIO VACCINE AND SIMIAN VIRUS 40