From:
Paul Otto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Otto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:48:12 -0500

I've donated blood for many years, long before my celiac disease was
diagnosed (I was asymptomatic and my hemoglobin level never even fell
particularly low).  After two years on the GF diet and totally normal
bloodwork and biopsies, I'd like to register to be a marrow donor as well.

However, the website for the National Marrow Donation Registry indicates
that those with autoimmune disease may not donate.  I was specifically told
by the New York Blood Center that I am not eligible to be a marrow donor,
because celiac disease is an autoimmune disease.

Does this make sense?  I realize there is a 10% chance I can pass on CD
through my genes, but is there really any danger that I can pass on CD to
someone else via my blood marrow?  If anyone has specific knowledge about
the pos
sibility of communicating CD via blood marrow, I'd love to hear
about it and will of course summarize for the list.

Thanks,
Paul Otto
Brooklyn, NY