From:
Alexandra Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alexandra Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:41:43 -0500

Hello All!

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with celiac a year and a half
ago.  Now I have a 6 month old and have not given him any gluten yet.
Frankly, I'm terrified to!  First of all, what are the chances he will
have it?  And secondly, when do I give him gluten... or do I?  I don't
think that I want to feed him gluten so that in a few years I can see
if his gut has been damaged.  Is it wrong to just never give it to him
and treat him as though he is celiac?  I don't trust anything the
doctors have to say regarding this matter (even though I love my
daughter's GI) and would love to hear what you all have to say and
your experiences.

Also, what is the deal with the disease needing to be "triggered"?
Does this mean that tests would be negative until it's triggered?  Or
even though there are no symptoms will the test show positive?  Once
my daughter's symptoms started to present themselves, we did the blood
test and it was off the charts...  Biopsy showed complete flattening
of the villi.  So that means that the damage was being done since she
began to eat solids.  If I had tested her a year prior would it have
been a negative result?  I am at a loss of what to do with my baby...
Please help!

Thanks... I will summarize.

Alexandra Lipscomb