From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:42:32 EST

As a mother with a daughter who had thyroid cancer at a young age prior to
her diagnosis of CD, I had the following questions.  This article that was
posted to the list was from Sweden.  In Europe the diet is healthier because
so many Americans are addicted to fast foods (and unfortunately the rest of
the world is changing fast due to many American fast foods chains introduced
).  I wonder if the risks in the US to undiagnosed celiacs are the same as in
Sweden, because of so many other irritants (hormones, antibiotics,
preservatives, etc.) present in US food sources and choices.
While in Norway, I found we ate mostly fresh foods and fish, which might also
be true of Sweden.  Just a thought.

Cancer Risk with Celiac Disease Lower Than Thought
Reuters Health
Monday, November 11, 2002

<A HREF="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_10308.html">http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_10308.html</A>

Swedish researches found:

.......CD and DH patients had overall cancer risks that were 30% and 20%
higher than the risk in the general population, the authors note. Both CD and
DH were associated with an increased risk of lymphoma, although the
relationship was stronger with CD. Celiac disease was also tied to an
increased risk of several gastrointestinal cancers, whereas dermatitis
herpetiforms was not...............

It is good to know from the study that:

.......The editorialists also emphasize that "survival in CD is improved by
early diagnosis and strict adherence to a gluten-free diet."