From:
Greenspot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greenspot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:27:30 -0400

Thanks to all who replied and shared your experience and wisdom.
I wonder if the salt flour they put on nuts might be ground in a mill that
grinds wheat.
Just a thought.
There may be a postscript to this. I got a couple of messages from folks who
indicated they wanted to weigh in but could not last week.
I have in the past washed mixed nuts to remove the salt, blotted and air
dried them (nothing to do with celiac issues-I just did not want the salt)

Thanks again, Dennis

1. I ate some no salt dry roasted Planters peanuts and definitely had a
reaction(and I rarely have issues anymore).  Planters claim they are
GF but I do remember reading somewhere that celiacs need to be wary
of dry roasted nuts.

2. I love any kind of nuts and eat them ever chance I get.  Hopefully Delta
will
have some on the flight to London tonight, where we will go a two week UK
cruise and return on July 4.

3a. For this reason, I always buy raw nuts, not roasted. Also, I watch my
fat intake for heart health and the doctor told me roasted nuts bring out
the saturated fat in nuts. Go raw and be safe, I get mine at Trader Joe.

3b. To be on the safe side, I buy my pecans from a local farmer.  I buy
walnuts
and almonds at Costco in a cellophane bag of 2 or 3 pound size.  There is
the usual disclaimer on the Kirkland label that says "this product is
packaged in a facility that processes  other allergens,etc."   I store all
of these in the freezer.
I dry roast my own nuts, about a pound at a time.  The best way I have found
to do this without scorching them is to put them in a flat tray/pan and put
them in my toaster oven and set it for 10 minutes.  If they are not quite
crisp enough I let them sit in there until they cool off.  If it is slivered
almonds, I set the time for 5 minutes, but don't walk away because they burn
so quickly.  Unless I plan to use all of them I then put them in the freezer
in ziploc bags for a quick easy snack.  They taste much fresher than any dry
roasted nuts you can buy.

3c. I never buy them. Look at the preservatives, salt and oil added. I buy
unroasted bulk nuts and roast them on a tray in the oven or toaster oven.
They are far superior and about 1/2 the cost. Once you have tried them that
way, you'll really notice the difference.

3d. I just read the latest copy of Living Gluten Free and they also put
nuts onto a be careful list as apparently nut packers add all sorts of
things to their nuts.
Who knew?
I only eat raw nuts, so I don't think it will be a problem for me

 4. haven't seen this, but in good news did see this week that Trader Joe's
had listed some of their nuts as gluten free.  They have a new peanut,
almond, vanilla/strawberry mix that tastes like a peanut butter and jelly
sandwich.  My daughter has been having it all week with no problems.

5. That's strange. I hadn't heard of that. The only thing I can think of is
that if you're buying dry roasted SALTED nuts, they might use gluten to make
the salt "stick" to the nut (normally, the oils would do that). If the nut
is dry roasted without salt, I wouldn't think anything would be added. But
I'm just guessing and now I'll have to do some research. I'm glad you asked.

6. I think it sometimes varies by product.  My mother-in-law bought no-name
(Best Choice) cashews and wheat was listed as an ingredient.  The Planter's
cashews did not list wheat.

7. I stay away from anything "roasted."

8. My understanding is that any roasted nuts would by law indicate if wheat
was used as an ingredient.
Isabel Aguilar, MS RD, CNSC
Clinical Dietitian and Celiac

9. Thank you, I prefer the salted nuts but do eat the dry roasted ones and
would not think to even check the can or bottle. Did they mention any
brands?

10. I just read the latest copy of Living Gluten Free and they also put
nuts onto a be careful list as apparently nut packers add all sorts of
things to their nuts.
Who knew?
I only eat raw nuts, so I don't think it will be a problem for me

11. Reading the ingredient list does show wheat as an ingredient on some
packages of nuts.  I have not had a problem with nuts as long as I read the
labels.

12. I don't know with any certainty whether or not dry roasted nuts should
be forbidden to gluten intolerant people, but my "gut" intuition is perhaps.

13. I was so excited that the Rice and Corn Chex cereals are now GF, that I
bought a box of each, a bottle of Planters dry roasted peanuts, GF pretzels
and made myself a big batch of Chex Party Mix. I'm having problems, but not
as serious as if I had eaten a slice of wheat bread.

14. This probably isn't what you need to hear, but I thought I would relate
my recent experience. If you get more information, I would be interested in
a summary of what people think or know for sure

15.Southern Home (BiLo)brand has made me sick.  When I checked the can it
said "processed in a facility a/wheat.Debbie

16. If you check with manufacturers, you'll find some dry roasted nuts that
are gluten free. I recently called Blue Diamond about their dry roasted
almonds -- smoked flavor -- and they are gluten free. They do have soy in
them, though.

17. I don't know if that only pertains to dry roasted, but I eat Planter
Salted Peanuts almost every day with no problems.  I have a handful in the
car on the way to the gym.
UGH - it's always something!

18. I know that last time I ate dry roaster peanuts it made me VERY sick,
very quickly! They were in a glass jar. I will not eat dry-roasted peanuts
again.

19. I just read the label. I've NEVER had a problem with dry-roasted nuts.
It
might be that some are manufactured in a plant that handles wheat, but that
would be on the label, too. I heed that warning on products that I feel are
not necessary in my life, although I do belief that manufacturers clean the
lines.