From:
Carl Shoolman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl Shoolman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:32:35 -0400

You may want to consider a healthier, easier gluten-free diet than that
followed by most of the people on this news group.

Your greatest health risk statistically is cardiovascular disease.  You are
much more likely to be disabled and die from that than celiac disease (or
cancer or......)

You can reduce your risk of heart disease (and even reverse or prevent the
disease) by eating low-fat and heart-healthy foods (with exercise,
stress-reduction and social support.)

By happy coincidence, most foods that are good for you are also gluten-free.

By another happy coincidence, the hidden gluten this news group is so
worried about is just about always in processed foods. Those foods
generally are high-fat and not heart-healthy.  If you eliminate them, you
don't have to worry about hidden gluten.

My experience is that you won't feel at all deprived if you focus not on
depriving yourself of dangerous foods, but on the pleasure of eating all
the fresh foods that are really good for you (and just happen to be
gluten-free, low-fat, complex carbohydrates and sugars.)

Solid clinical research shows that people are able to maintain an
extremely-low fat diet as easily as less restrictive diets.

I just thought I'd offer this unusual perspective, because I see so many
people on this list frustrated looking for gluten-free versions of high-fat
foods are needlessly hurting their health.

I welcome you questions and comments.

Carl Shoolman