From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:50:05 EST

                       My Personal Thoughts<3>
                       -----------------------
                          by Lynda D. Nelson

I spent many years of ill health finding out everything that I didn't
have.  After my small intestinal biopsy results had been confirmed, it
took less than 60 seconds for my gastroenterologist to inform me that
I have the genetically-inherited celiac disease (CD) for the rest of
my life.  Suddenly my lifestyle would take on a changed dimension.

I take the opportunity to educate my family members if they choose to
be educated.  If not, I decided that this would be fine, too.  I
personally believe that my family still loves me even if they choose
not to learn about CD.

I need to keep watch over my own thoughts.  It certainly was a lot
easier in the beginning to whine about having to work so hard for a
day's meal, but whining never really solved anything.  When I did my
whining it simply meant that I was focussing too much on myself.  I
decided to get out, get involved with others, and make a difference in
the lives of other celiacs who have yet to be diagnosed.  What a
positive difference this makes!

My world didn't get smaller because I went gluten-free (GF).  It
actually got a whole lot bigger.  Every time I apply my creativity to
how I do things now it just reinforces how healthy and good my life
really is.  I can enjoy a good whine like everyone else but I try to
keep these sessions to myself.  When I get stuck I ask for help.

I am human and I do have the urge to splurge on gluten foods.  What do
I do when this happens?  I get in my car and drive from one end of our
city to the other while pondering the consequences of my intentional
forthcoming unhealthy action.  Most of the time it turns out to be a
quick trip and I snap out of it.  I become aware that something isn't
right.  I think it through, and in the end, I return to my GF senses.
It's hard sometimes!

One day was really hard for me and I actually purchased a Taco Bell
burrito with the works.  As I was driving away from the drive-up
window a highway patrolman drove into the parking lot.  My heart
stopped.  I dropped the burrito.  All I could see on the side of that
car was "GLUTEN PATROL"!  I had visions of being handcuffed, having my
GF diet rights read to me, then being hauled off somewhere to a prison
for the ungrateful celiacs who don't care about their health.  My
sentence would be eating nothing but gluten-filled foods for a year or
two, which would make me extremely ill!  I've never returned to
another fast food place with the intention of eating gluten!

When I need reassurance or helpful input for a particular GF
situation, I am not alone because support groups are everywhere and
someone somewhere is always willing to help.  But I must ask in order
to receive that help.  It's important for me to remember that many
celiacs suffer a lot more than I do, though there are also celiacs who
suffer less.  This goes for mankind in general, GF or not.  ALL people
go through life's trials and tribulations.  We celiacs are no
different than anyone else.

Let's look at our GF lifestyle as we would gardening.  To plant a
garden for a healthy life, first plant five rows of "P's":

   Presence of good loving friends and family
   Promptness in helping others
   Preparation of healthy GF foods
   Perseverance in following the GF diet for life
   keeping a healthy Perspective

Next, plant three rows of squash:

   Squash the negative attitude about living GF.
   Squash the bad habit of not thoroughly reading each product label.
   Squash unjust criticism toward those around you.

Then plant five rows of "lettuce":

   Let us be grateful for our CD diagnosis that made us well again.
   Let us be unselfish in giving assistance to others so that they too
      can have healthy lives.
   Let us provide CD information to our physicians and dietitians in
      order to provide us with current dietary instruction so that the
      next newly-diagnosed celiac can be saved from this ignorance.
   Let us follow our GF diet daily so that we can remain in remission
      and live well.
   Let us remember to love one another even when others don't or won't
      try to understand the way we must live.

No garden of life is complete without "turnips":

   Turn up for local CD support group meetings and get involved.
   Turn up with a great big smile and with open arms to let our
      leaders know we are prepared to help.
   Turn up with new and creative ideas to make CD known in our
      communities by educating the public.
   Turn up with determination to make everything count for something
      good and worthwhile.

With daily tender care we can watch our gardens grow.  With growth
comes the evidence that there truly is an abundant life living GF!