Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:15:47 -0800

Recently Cindy posted about hospital stays and I would like as a nearly 9
year diagnosed DHer to caution each of us CD/DH patients to think ahead.  I
had seen a presentation on this subject at a Gluten Intolerance Group
Conference in Seattle many years ago and therefore thought I was prepared.
I contacted the head dietician of our local hospital several weeks prior to
my planned admittance for surgery last summer.  I faxed her my very complete
instructions and then we discussed them over the phone.  I even met with her
during my pre-op appointment for blood typing, etc.  I was in the hospital
for 4 days post surgery and had to send every meal back for every single
day!  She sent chicken broth with modified food starch clearly on the label,
cereals, cookies.  She was frustrated because she wasn't being careful
enough and I was disgusted that she couldn't seem to grasp it after all our
preparation.  My husband brought me Dairy Queen milkshakes and I lived on
those.  Of course I had very little appetite anyway after surgery, but it
does make one worry about one's safety if one didn't have a watchful
well-informed family member to help.

Plan for this occurring talk about it with someone who can be your advocate
it you are unable to.

Vicki
WA state