From:
Brian Cawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:07:10 -0700

Thanks for 26 responses to the advice from a "top London Dietitian"
that:

   no one should withhold gluten from the diet unless they have had the villi
   sample, which as you know is invasive and risky to say the least To cut out
   gluten in a child's diet could cause hypersensitivity risks if they
   accidentally ate it with possibly disastrous consequences.

Several people advised less-invasive blood or saliva  tests,  before resorting
to villi biopsies, but add that  the risks associated with the biopsy are no
greater than with any other procedure.  To quote one person:

   The biopsy is not 'invasive and risky' - in fact, if your daughters want to
   watch one, contact FOX Network (USA)'s 'Popular Mechanics for Kids'.  They
   televised one about a year ago.  My (now) 8 year old celiac found it
   fascinating.

Others argued that any risk should be balanced against the damage caused by
gluten ingestion.

Most of you disagreed with the notion that withholding gluten could cause
sensitivity, on the contrary many of you have seen improvements to health and
well-being since going gluten-free.  Some respondents believe in testing for
sensitivity before eliminating gluten  from the diet others just do it!

Most of you thought that the "top dietician" should stick to giving dietary
advice, unless specially trained in the area of celiac disease, and gluten-
intolerance.

One person suggested I withhold my advice, to my daughters, and let them
alone to raise there children in their own way.  Quote:

   Having put up with an exceedingly controlling mother who thought nothing
was
   ever done right concerning "her" grandchildren unless it was done the
way she
   thought it should be, I'd strongly suggest that you not argue with your
   daughter as how her children should be treated even if you "think" their
   health will be endangered.

Thanks everyone!   I have forwarded all of  the responses to my daughter, in
the UK, and will leave it at that.

Valerie, California