Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:34:38 -0700

At 07:43 AM 6/25/1999 -0700, Jessie James wrote:

>Many thanks to Stephen Rider for his excellent summary of the facts about
>grains containing gluten.
>
>We have a lot of newly diagnosed celiacs reading the posts and it must be
>very confusing to read all the differences of 'opinion'.  One somewhat
>confused poster said I am an idiot for saying that oats are GF.  It is a
>shame to remove such a soothing, versatile and healthful food from the diet
>because of a misunderstanding.
>
>GF is not a matter of opinion, it is straight scientific fact.  There are
>many things that can upset a celiac's system, including just being over
>tired.  The cause of many of our negative reactions goes unaccounted for.

It should also be mentioned that many who have investigated the oat
controversy insist that there are no commercially grown oats in the US that
are not cross contaminated with gluten. I think Don Wiss also insists on
this. The way I found out I was celiac was from the harsh and steady
reactions I was having from oatmeal fortified with oatbran every morning.
-vance