From:
Sherill Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:37:10 -0800

Dear Chris Pearson and anyone else who is interested,

    I am not a medical professional or a physiologist -
just an educated consumer, so take my information in that context.
As I understand it, the purpose of this diet is to keep your blood sugar
level as constant as you can, to avoid the highs that cause  high
levels of insulin in the blood. Sears presents a good case for a wide
range of problems associated with high insulin production, from low
energy and low immunity to diabetes amd heart disease.

   Sears' idea for controlling blood sugar levels is not new, but he has
developed an easily followed system that works: Eat mostly foods that go
slowly into the blood stream, and balance every meal you eat so that you
have a certain proportion of protein, carbohydrates and fats (preferrably
unsaturated fats). His proportions involve more protein and fat, and less
carbohydrates than the popular American diet of today. This is not a GF
diet as such, but since Sears classes nearly all grains are  as less
desirable to eat, it's very easy for a Celiac person to follow the diet.

   I started this diet about a month ago at my doctor's suggestion, after
I began having multiple sclerosis-like symptoms. I still don't have a
diagnosis on that, but I've had almost no such symptoms since starting
the diet. After reading the biochemistry in the book, I understand why.
It has to do with the production of "eicosanoids", hormones we make in
minute amounts, that affect a wide range of body functions, both helpful
and harmful. The kind of eicosanoids we make is directly related to
insulin levels. I found this discussion fascinating.  And for me the
unexpected side effects have been greatly increased energy and quietly
shedding 10 pounds of excess fat in only a month without ever having
felt hungry.

   The book is published by HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., 10 East 53rd
St., New York, NY 10022. The list price is  $22, but I saw it offered for
considerably less this month through Book-of-the Month Club.

   Hope that answers your questions.

Sherill Roberts