From:
Leslie Beachwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:03:45 -0800

The discussion of CD and depression prompted me to recall this passage
from page 92 of "Spontaneous Healing" by Andrew Weil, MD, (Alfred A.
Knopf, New York, 1995) which I recently started reading:

"I can see many possibilities [for mechanisms to explain the role of the
mind in healing], no only in the operations of the autonomic nervous
system, but also in the panoply of interactions between receptors and
the many neuropeptides that we classify variously as neurotransmitters,
hormones and growth regulators. Candace Pert, one of the pioneer
investigators of these regulatory substances, suggests that each one
might be associated with a particular mood state and might affect
behavior in addition to its actions on body functions. She notes that
receptors for many of the neurotransmitters cluster in the gut and in
the brain, especially in areas concerned with emotion. Endorphin
receptors certainly have this distribution; they affect intestinal
function as well as produce euphoria and tolerance for pain. This gives
deep biochemical meaning to the commonlly referred to 'gut feelings.'
Perhaps our guts are also seats of emotion. What goes on in our guts
might influence deep brain centers and vice versa."

It is Weil's belief that this is a two-way street, meaning our guts can
affect our brains but also our brain (mind) can affect, and help heal,
our gut. I'm sorry he doesn't give more biological details above but he
does cite this reference in the back of the book: Candace Pert on
neuropeptides: C.B. Pert et al., "Neuropeptides and Their Receptors: A
Psychosomatic Network," Journal of Immunology 135 (1985): 820s-826s.

Food for thought -- literally.

Leslie Beachwood
Beaverton, OR