From:
Matteo Richiardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:20:01 +0100

Hello everybody,
I received a lot of messages concerning how safe is to kiss somebody who
has eaten gluten. I would like to thank all who replied to my query. I
received all range of possible answers: from "macho" people joking that
they would never give a kiss such a thought to people who consider any
"superficial" kiss safe (i.e. without tongue).

Some people said that as long as they don't kiss someone who had his/her
mooth full of bread they never experienced a gluten reaction, but some
other said that they had bad reactions even after waiting for a while. It
seems that different people react differently. As we know that some
Coeliacs may not clearly react at all even if they ingest a small quantity
of gluten (but this will harm them anyway), I'm a little bit suspicious of
the "no-waiting time" party. It seems to me that the wiser opinion can be
summarised as:

<<A good morning or "I'm leaving for work now" kiss, I'd say no wait; deep
kissing, if you were ultrasensitive, might wait till they brush their teeth>>.

Hope this helps.

Matteo