Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:14:44 -0500

I'm *way* late on this summary - my apologies. I want to thank everyone who
replied to my plea for help with GF iron supplements. My iron level was so
low that I couldn't get out to search various stores for what I needed. I
truly appreciate how quickly and graciously people were to offer help!!
Several people asked for a summary, so the responses I received are below...
_____
I prefer Spring Valley supplements, available at Target, Wal-mart, etc.,
because they are labeled "gluten free."  Carlson Labs has a gluten free
Chewable Iron.Check for it in a local health food store.
_____
iron from Country Life brand, but I also regularly use Floradix. there is a
floradix gluten free product.
http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/usa/products/r64771.asp
_____
Floradix has one that is gluten-free, but check the label as not all are
gluten-free. Niferex works well, and it is otc at my compounding pharmacy.
Also a chelated iron is good from the health food store.

Remember your cast iron skillet, cooking with acids like tomatoes to bring
out the iron.  Also, liver helps if you can stomach it.
_____
My GI doc recommended a product called proferrin when I had a hard time
tolerating the other OTC products. I have no stomach problems or other GI
problems with this product and take it twice a day. My anemia is slowly
resolving and my ferritin has doubled so I think it is working well. One
problem with oral iron is that until your gut heals and you have villi it is
hard for you to absorb it orally.

Anyhow I order Proferrin online and they ship it very fast. More expensive
than others but to me it has been worth it.

www.coloradobiolabs.com
_____
Freeda Vitamins has iron and you order online!  Freeda are totally, 100%
safe and they work!!
_____
Slow FE - and taking it with vit C tablet helps absorption
_____
Ferro-Sequels [Walgreens].  Iron with a stool softener built in.  One tablet
is 50mg, I take two every day per Dr.'s orders.
_____
I use the internet and use either Iron from Natures Sunshine
www.naturessunshine.com and aslo have been recommended the Vitron-C
(confirmed gf by Mayo Clinic pharacy last month. I cook/buy for three
celiacs and have been useing the natures sunshine brand for a year now with
no issues. I call them monthly to confirm gf status. My local herbalist is
who turned me on to this company.
_____
I haven't checked iron in particular, but everything I've bought from
Naturemade says gluten free on the label.
_____
I have a perscription for Repliva (I take the generic of this)  from my
doctor, which I tolerate very well. It’s GF and it has brought my feritin up
significantly. It costs about $39.00/month.
_____
I'm anemic and live gluten free as well.  I use CVS brand slow released
iron.  Works!
_____
I have been happily using "Gentle Iron" by Solgar. More information can be
found at solgar.com. I don't know what "form" of iron you are supposed to be
taking (ferrous sulfate?), so be careful with the dosage as the daily dose
of "Gentle Iron" is 25 mg, whereas the daily dose of ferrous sulfate is
around 350mg...
_____
I've been taking FeroSul red tablets.  There may be another version that is
another color?  The label says, "Please Note:  Each 325 mg tablet of ferrous
sulfate supplies 65 mg ELEMENTAL IRON."  The bottle I bought cost $1.86 at
Publix and has 100 tablets.  I called the company to verify that the red
tablets were gluten free and I've not had any reaction apart from my body
having to get used to taking in iron.
_____
I swear by Blackstrap molasses.  You can buy it at Whole Foods by the sugar
in the baking aisle.  If you take a tablespoon of that twice a day, your
iron will go up nicely.  The brand has to be Blackstrap because it is triple
processed so it has the highest iron content.  It doesn't taste very good.
Some people mix it with juice or milk.  I tried it both ways and can still
taste it.  So I just take a tablespoon and wash it down with a glass of
water.  It works.