From:
Kathy McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 21:53:25 EST

Hi Everyone,
    I have an adopted child who will be 2 in January.  She was biopsied in
August and her biopsy was negative, but her bloodwork seemed to indicate
celiac.  She is failure to thrive and has some significant malabsorbtion
problems.  Her gastroenterologist recommends that she drink 24 ounces of
formula (soy, she is allergic to dairy too) so she has normal bone and teeth
growth. We can only get her to drink about 12 ounces at the most.  SHe has
only gained about 2 pounds in the past year.

    After being as gluten free as possible for the past 2 months, she still
has frequent stools, caustic bowels at times, and she still is not gaining
weight.  She really is a crummy eater ( no pun intended ) and I am going
broke trying to buy things that would satisfy her delicate system.  I mention
that she is adopted since no one else has any history with this problem in
our family.

    We are going to see the Gastro doc soon, and she is going to do some RAST
testing, but I need some ideas on what to feed her.  Does anyone also have
any suggestions on other tests that may determine why my daughter isn't doing
any better?

    THanks,
    Kathy