From:
Caroline St-Pierre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:57:23 PST

Hi Listmembers,
Sorry for the delay in summarizing. I thought I should wait until I get my
skin biopsy /fungi results before I tell everyone what came out of this
finger blisters question. I got over 36 responses.

Both DH and fungi tests came out negatives. As for the replies I got from
the list, many people have been puzzled by these tiny blisters and some
people for over 40 years. That helped me put things in perspective and
realize that we can't understand everything and should not dramatize
either!.

Here is a review of the principal causes you suggested:

4 persons thought it was reaction to temperature/ season change
1 suggested Raynaud's phenomenon, althought this involves, I thought, a
constant feeling of having cold fingers.
2 persons said it sounded like contact dermatitis or allergy resulting from
cleaning solutions, soaps, food, rubber or latex gloves or NCR paper!
several persons said their dermatologist did not know but did not seem
overly worried about it.
5 persons thought it was CD/food related but not as serious as DH (nobody
had positive DH skin biopsy with blisters fitting the same description as
mine)
3 person said it was DH
1 had them on and off for 40 years and never knew what it was
2 persons thought it was eczema
4 persons said their family members also get them on and off wether they are
CD diagnosed or not
1 person thought it was psoriasis and the sun helped it tremendously (the
sun also works wonders for me)
1 person thought it was stress related
1 suggested herpes!
1 suggested candida

overview of treatments:
most people just put up with them because they seem to spontanously disppear
2 persons use prescription cortison, no help
1 person suggested hemp cream from The Body Shop (really made a difference
for me too)
1 person told me some prescription ointment got rid of the blisters in two
weeks but did not mention what type of ointment their doctor gave her/him.
1 person said flax-seed oil helped some but potassium iodine in water helped
a lot.
1 person said to avoid iodized salt and other iodine rich food such as
seafood
1 person found some relief with yeast infection cream which she says doesn't
thin the skin as much as a cortison based cream.
1 person suggested Lidex, a steroid and said it went away

Thank you all very much for your inputs, sorry again for the delay in
getting this info summarized. My own 2 cents are that it is probably related
to several factors. I can not confirm they are necessarily CD related since
I can be free of blisters when I have the least control on what I eat. My
father has them and he tested CD negative. On the other hand my grandfather
has had psoriasis and eczema for as long as I can remember.

Caroline, Quebec
Canada