From:
"Brett Saks, BS, DC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 07:52:06 0

Here is an abstract I found while searching medline....It mentions
celiac testing, confirmation, diabetes, IgA.....

If you want to search medline for free you can do so from my page at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~drbsaks

look under the section "research".....I will post others that I think
are appropriate....

Warm regards,

Brett

Record from database: MEDLINE

Title
     Gluten-sensitive enteropathy.
Author
     Troncone R; Greco L; Auricchio S
Address
     Department of Pediatrics, University Federico II, Naples, Italy.
Source
     Pediatr Clin North Am, 43: 2, 1996 Apr, 355-73
Abstract
     Gluten-sensitive enteropathy is induced by dietary wheat gliadin
     and related proteins in genetically susceptible individuals. Most
     evidence suggests that the mucosal lesion represents an
     immunologically mediated injury triggered by gluten in the
     context of a particular assortment of major histocompatibility
     complex genes. The amino acid residues of gliadin and related
     proteins responsible for toxicity have not been identified; in
     vitro systems are available, but definitive conclusions must rely
     on in vivo jejunal challenges. At a conservative estimate,
     symptomatic gluten-sensitive enteropathy affects approximately 1
     in 1000 individuals in Europe; however, it is now becoming clear
     that a greater proportion of individuals has clinically silent
     disease, and probably many others have a minor form of the the
     enteropathy. In most countries, the clinical presentation has
     changed over the past few years coming closer to the adult type
     of the disease, and the age of onset of symptoms is shifting
     upward. Liver, joint, hematologic, dental, and neurologic
     symptoms are increasingly being recognized. Several diseases are
     associated the gluten-sensitive enteropathy, such as IgA
     deficiency, insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, and a range of
     other autoimmune diseases. Tests based on the measurement of
     antigliadin and antiendomysium antibodies have gained success as
     noninvasive screening tests; however, the ultimate diagnosis
     still is based on the finding of a severe histologic lesion of
     the jejunum while the patient is on a gluten-containing diet and
     on its disappearance once the gluten is excluded from the diet. A
     lifelong, strict GFD is mandatory for celiac children. Among
     other long-term problems, an increased risk of intestinal
     lymphoma has been reported in patients on a normal
     gluten-containing diet.