From:
Pam Newbury <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Newbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2014 10:23:26 -0700

Looks like more and more manufacturers are responding to the FDA rule by
un-labeling their products gluten free. Some have simply dropped the term,
others, such as the market below, are simply changing to a different,
unregulated term. The FDA does not regulate the terms "wheat-free" or "no
gluten ingredients"; only the terms "gluten-free, " "no gluten," "free of
gluten," or "without gluten" are covered.

Gluten-free Watchdog did a report on products made by Roots Market, a small
health food chain in Maryland that changed their labeling in direct response
to the new rule (see below to read Root's statement about the change; to see
the testing results you can subscribe to Gluten-free Watchdog). I find it
bitterly ironic that Roots responds to the rule, not by testing their
products for gluten to see if they comply, but, instead, by "happily"
changing the label to say "wheat-free" instead of "gluten-free." Somehow
that doesn't make me happy. (Note: I don't live I Maryland, so I'm not a
Roots customer; I'm just using this market as an example of what I see
happening.)

So, has the new rule made life easier for celiacs or harder? Before, we may
have blissfully purchased these "gluten-free" baked goods. Now, those
in-the-know that "wheat-free" does not mean "gluten-free" by a technicality
may think twice about buying them or look for more information.

Wheat is the most likely cross-contaminant, so how is "wheat-free" more
accurate that "gluten-free"? The store emphasizes that they are the exact
same product as before the change. Now we must remember which terms are
covered under the rule and which aren't.

Roots tells celiacs to follow their "health advisors' guidance. How would
our "health advisors" know if these products are suitable for celiacs?
Perhaps we need our health advisors to give us better guidance on what to
eat or not to eat. I certainly think more research in this area would be
useful.

I think that, even before the rule, I would have hesitated to buy a GF
product made in a shared facility without knowing what precautions they were
taking to avoid cross contamination. But does the label "wheat-free" give me
any information about the product that would help me decide if it is safe?

What's clear is that there will be many fewer products labeled gluten-free.
Should we now only buy foods specifically labeled gluten-free? Would that
make celiacs healthier or improve our lives?

From the Root's market web site (emphasis mine),
http://rootsmkt.com/the-new-fda-gluten-free-labeling-rule-and-you/:

Even though the FDA's "gluten-free" rule is completely voluntary, Roots
Market is more than happy to comply!

Around our stores and on some of our Roots Market Bakeshop products, you'll
see some changes in signage and on labels to let you know that our delicious
creations are "wheat-free" (rather than "gluten-free"). Rest assured that
the switch in terminology is only that-a text change. Our Bakeshop cupcakes,
breads, cookies, and more that had been labeled as "gluten-free" are
hand-crafted with the same recipes and ingredients as before, so they'll be
just as scrumptious as always! But, since we work with so many small-scale
producers and bake everything in the same kitchen as our wheat-based
products, we can't guarantee that every ingredient and finished product
never ever came into contact with the protein.

We feel our "wheat-free" Bakeshop offerings are suitable for folks with
gluten sensitivities or diet preferences, but we encourage those with Celiac
disease to follow their health advisors' guidance.

I'm interested in your thoughts on how those with celiac disease can make
the best use of the new FDA rule on gluten and how it will change our lives.

Pam Newbury